Children come with a lot of responsibilities, and parents are always kept on their toes trying to give their babies the best; especially when it comes to taking care of their hair and skin. They understand the need for the best baby shampoo; one that is specifically formulated for babies and their tender and delicate skin.
According to experts, newborns shouldn’t have their hair washed every single day; about twice per week should be enough. This is because they have thin skin, and it is even thinner on the scalp. This means it is important to handle their scalp with utmost care.
The hair cleansers on this list are made from the safest and quality ingredients that can clean your baby’s scalp effectively without causing any harm at all. The manufacturers of these products take into consideration that children do not have a properly developed immune system. This is why they put in extra effort to produce products made of natural, effective, and gentle ingredients.
It is rather an oxymoron to refer to a baby as a bundle of joy – they are so cute and such a delight, but they demand so much responsibility, which can be quite stressful. One of the responsibilities of taking care of a child is making sure they are as clean as possible from head to toe all the time. Many parents obsess over their baby’s appearance – making sure their baby nail clippers are being put to work, and that their hair is clean at all times.
Unlike grown-ups, babies are generally delicate because of their less developed immune system. Their hair, for instance, is more susceptible to damage, and their scalp can easily become infected. On that note, it is your duty as a parent or caregiver to get the best shampoo for baby that you can find as an additional way of taking care of your little one. We have extensively researched the market to bring you the information you need for a complete buying guide for baby shampoos.
How Did We Pick the Best Baby Shampoo?
The main aim of our articles is to make the buying process for our readers as simple, comfortable and effective as possible.
Every review we create is the result of an intricate study of the market, and customer feedback analysis. You’ll always get an honest final verdict. Only after endless hours of research, and once we’re satisfied that we’ve found the best products, do we then add them to our review list for your consideration.
We hope that you enjoy your purchase. If you found this article useful — please share it with your friends. Follow us on social media to stay up to date with more of the best online product reviews.
Why It is Better?
- Why Do You Need Baby Shampoo?
- How to Pick Right Baby Shampoo
- Top 5 Best Baby Shampoos
- 1. Baby Dove Tip to Toe Baby Wash and Shampoo
- 2. Johnson’s Head-To-Toe Gentle Baby Wash & Shampoo
- 3. Johnson’s Curl-Defining Tear-Free Kids’ Shampoo with Shea Butter
- 4. Cetaphil Baby Wash & Shampoo with Organic Calendula
- 5. Aveeno Baby Calming Comfort Bath with Relaxing Lavender & Vanilla Scents
- Frequently Asked Questions
Why Do You Need Baby Shampoo?
Just to be on the safe side, we should take the time to explain what the best baby shampoo is and how it is different from the regular ones. Then we will go right ahead to talk about why you need them for your baby. By definition, baby shampoo is simply a hair care product specially formulated for infants and young children designed to effectively remove oils, dirt, dandruff, and other unwanted stuff from their hair without causing any damages.
When you run your fingers through the hair of a newborn baby, you will notice that it is so soft and delicate in a way that is different from the hair of an adult. The texture alone is enough reason for it to be a bad idea to use regular grown-up hair products on babies. A typical shampoo product is made of ingredients that may be awesome for adults but a disaster for babies. Here are some of the reasons this is so.
- Thinner skin makeup: According to scientists, the epidermis of a baby is three to five times thinner than that of a mature adult. This makes it easier for their skin to absorb liquid into the body or to be hurt. It is important to use specially formulated products for babies that are free of certain chemicals that may be too harsh and harmful to their bodies. Using mosquito repellent for babies can also help to protect them from getting sick and having bite spots on their bodies.
- Immature detox system: It takes about the first three years of human life for the liver to fully develop. Even at three-years-old, it is still not strong enough to combat everything, which is why it is not recommended for children to take alcohol. With a liver that is still developing, it’s hard for the body to get rid of any impurities. This is why it is better to keep babies away from such impurities to avoid exposing their bodies to harm.
- Lesser body fat: There is less baby fat on the head of small babies, and as such, their subcutaneous layer can do little in the way of protecting babies from unwanted external substances. Using a regular shampoo can expose the scalp of the baby to toxins and risk the probability of developing a health issue as a result.
- Hair dries faster: Moisture is good for the skin and hair. If you know anything about hair products, you may know that a lot of them can cause dryness in the hair for adults. In the case of babies, using such products on them would cause their hair and skin to dry even more because a baby’s skin tends to lose moisture faster.
How to Pick Right Baby Shampoo
It is always a good idea to do your own research to make sure you get the best baby shampoo available on the market. There are a few things you should make sure of when researching on what product to buy.
- Brands: With all the different brands on the market, you would have to come up with a system that would help you make the best decision possible. Usually, we would recommend going for brands that have been around for a really long time, and those of them that are popular. Our reason is that any company that maintains relevance for years must be doing something consistently appealing to their customer base. The same goes for the popular ones. Note that this does not make them automatically suitable for your little one, but it’s a good place to start your research. Some of the brands we recommend include Aveeno, Johnson’s, Dove, and Cetaphil.
- Ingredients: No matter what brand you choose, you must scrutinize the ingredients and personally satisfy yourself that they are safe for your little one. The key is to choose a non-toxic product for your baby. For instance, experts recommend fragrance-free shampoo because a lot of fragranced options can pose risks to your baby’s respiratory system. These side effects may take a while before they show up, and may have caused harm by then. If you must use a scented product, make sure the fragrance is organically based. Other ingredients you should avoid include sodium laurel sulfate (SLS), parabens, phenoxyethanol, Polyethylene glycol, and sodium dodecyl sulfate.
- Chemicals: There is something about chemicals that makes seem them dangerous to be used on babies. The truth is, a lot of them are harsh, but there are some that are safe. To be on the safe side, go for organically-based products with little or no chemicals in them. If you must choose a product that has chemicals in it, them make sure it does not contain harsh chemicals such as phthalates, sulfur, or parabens, etc.
- Hypoallergenic: Since children are often sensitive to certain substances, it would be in your best interest to go for products that are hypoallergenic. Products tagged as such do not contain some of the most common substances that irritate small babies, and as such, are less likely to cause allergies in babies.
- No-tear formula: How much does it hurt when you mistakenly get soap lather into your eyes? You can imagine what your baby will go through in such an event. You have to be extremely careful when washing your baby’s hair; or better still, you can opt for products that have a no-tears formula.
- EWG rating: If a product has a high EWG rating, usually on a scale of one to ten, that means it does not contain hazardous substances. The Environmental Working Group Skin Deep Database is an authorized system whose responsibility is to break down the exact contents of a product based on their potential hazards and health concerns.
Top 5 Best Baby Shampoos
After extensive research and proper consideration of the factors mentioned above, we have come up with a list of the best baby shampoo and wash products for babies. With these products, the relative safety of your little one is guaranteed.
1. Baby Dove Tip to Toe Baby Wash and Shampoo Review
For sensitive skin
We Don’t Like
Dove is one of the most popular and reputable brands on the international market today, and their baby wash and shampoos are some of their best products. This product was specifically formulated to have a pH level safe for small babies to ensure their safety and retain a healthy moisture level in the skin and hair of your little one. By maintaining the natural pH level of the skin of your baby, it also helps in the treatment of skin conditions such as cradle cap, dryness, eczema, and so on.
This product is formulated with safe ingredients that are fragrance-free, tear-free, and hypoallergenic. The nutrients in the formula are identical to similar to the natural components of the skin and hair and do not alter their natural balance in the skin. Aside from all the great benefits of these products, it is also cost-effective and easy to use. You can also check out the dove baby wipes and other quality baby products.
2. Johnson’s Head-To-Toe Gentle Baby Wash & Shampoo Review
For sensitive skin
We Don’t Like
This is a great brand for baby products – baby lotion, shampoo, oil, wipes, and so on. It has been around for a long time and has maintained a good reputation, making it one of the best out there. Their hair to toe wash is specially formulated for babies that are prone to sensitive skin and scalps. They were able to achieve this by re-evaluating and reinventing the products with fifty percent fewer ingredients which reduced the risk of irritating baby skin and scalp.
It is available in two different sizes, both in an ergonomically shaped container with a pump to deliver the product effectively without risking contamination. It is hypoallergenic, free of harmful substances, and maintains the natural pH balance of the skin and hair in the gentlest way possible. On the downside, some customers seem to be having issues with the pump. It does not deliver enough product per pump, and you may have to put in extra effort to get the right amount you need.
3. Johnson’s Curl-Defining Tear-Free Kids’ Shampoo with Shea Butter Review
For sensitive skin
We Don’t Like
This is yet another shampoo for baby from the Johnson baby brand. If you are looking for something just for your baby’s hair, then this will be a great fit for you and your little one. It comes in an attractive 400 ml bottle, containing a curl-defining shampoo that’s great for babies with frizzy hair. It leaves your baby’s hair clean and nicely moisturized and well defined.
This product is generally hypoallergenic and free of harmful chemicals such as sulfates, dyes, phthalates, parabens, and so on. You and your little one can enjoy all these benefits for a reasonable price, which is great for parents and caregivers that are on a budget. Parents are advised to keep the product to just the hair, especially if your little one has sensitive skin. Also, this product produces better results when used on older kids.
4. Cetaphil Baby Wash & Shampoo with Organic Calendula Review
For sensitive skin
We Don’t Like
Just like a baby laundry detergent, the Cetaphil baby wash is one of the most gentle and effective hair and body wash products out there. Aside from being made by a reputable brand, this product is one of the safest scented washes if you must use one. It is available in two different sizes – 230 ml and 400 ml. It has a lather rich content that washes gently but effectively.
An outstanding feature of this product is that it is based on a natural ingredient known as calendula – a flowering plant with the ability to treat fungal and bacterial infections, and inflammation. This product was tested and verified by dermatologists to be suitable and beneficial for infants, which is why it is the fourth-best baby shampoo on our list. One purchase can last for a really long time since it is concentrated and a little can go a long way.
5. Aveeno Baby Calming Comfort Bath with Relaxing Lavender & Vanilla Scents Review
For sensitive skin
We Don’t Like
The final best shampoo for babies product on our list today is the Aveeno baby calming body wash which can be used on children from head to toe for effective results. If you are looking for something that is effective, and safe at the same time, then we highly recommend this product. Some of the special benefits of using this product include the organic ingredients used to make the product – lavender and vanilla extracts. These extracts have anti-inflammatory properties that are known to calm and soothe irritated skin and the scalp as a way of treating sensitivity or avoiding it in the first place.
According to reviews, this product is an effective moisturizer — both for the hair and skin and it maintains the natural pH balance of the hair and body. If you are concerned about scented products, then this may not be the best baby wash for your little one because it is not fragrance-free. Considering this fact, it may not be a great idea to use it on newborn babies.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do you have any questions or clarifications regarding the products we mentioned? Let us help you by listing some of the FAQs and answers:
If it is an insect bite, like a mosquito bite, we recommend preventing bites in the first place by using a baby mosquito net and insect repellants to make sure they do not get bitten again. Using a suitable baby wash can help revitalize the skin and clear the spots and any other hair and skin irritations.
Experts recommend washing your baby’s hair anytime she takes her bath, which is twice per day. Washing your baby’s hair this often does not necessarily strip her hair of the natural oils since the product is not harsh at all and is specifically formulated to have a pH balance that is similar to that of the natural hair.
First of all, you have to wet the hair with warm water and rub the water into the hair to make sure it is properly moistened. Then apply a little bit of shampoo to your baby’s hair and gently rub it in with your hands, towel, or a soft sponge for about fifteen to twenty seconds before rinsing it out. Be gentle and thorough when doing this to avoid hurting your baby and for the best results.
Experts recommend not using scented products on or around your baby. This is because it may affect their respiratory system and cause some health issues that their underdeveloped immune system would not be able to fight. However, if you must use a scented shampoo, make sure it is a mild one, and, more importantly, make sure it is based on organic ingredients. Under no circumstances should you subject your little one to strong smells.
Yes! Baby shampoos are great and specifically meant for babies, but they can also be used by adults to achieve effective results. As a matter of fact, a lot of hair enthusiasts are beginning to reject regular beauty care shampoos and opting for baby care shampoos because they are free of harmful chemicals such as sulfate.
For most of this article, we have discussed how you can get the best baby shampoo for your baby. You can choose from any of the five products we mentioned above, or you can carry out your own research based on the information we provided on how to choose the best products and what to avoid when shopping for baby shampoo.
If you are looking for more products that will increase your baby’s comfort and improve her growth, we recommend checking out baby security blankets, baby laundry hampers, and baby wipe warmers. These are all recommendable products that can help to reduce any stress there may be on your path to being a great child caregiver or parent.