Choosing the best baby lotion for newborns is a worrisome task for many parents because they want to make sure that the one they choose provides the right level of hydration for their child’s skin without putting them at risk. It can be hard to know where to turn.
Luckily for you, we’ve spent countless hours scouring the internet comparing every product on the market and analyzing all of the factors that go into making the most effective and safe lotions available.
Today, we’re going to share those findings with you by providing you with all of the key information you need to know about what these lotions are and when it’s best to use them. We’ll tell you how to compare one product to another and what we believe to be the five best options currently available on the market. Don’t go anywhere else. Read on to find out everything you could ever need to know about baby lotion.
How Did We Pick the Best Baby Lotion?
The main aim of our articles is to make the buying process for our readers as simple, comfortable and effective as possible.
Every review we create is the result of an intricate study of the market, and customer feedback analysis. You’ll always get an honest final verdict. Only after endless hours of research, and once we’re satisfied that we’ve found the best products, do we then add them to our review list for your consideration.
We hope that you enjoy your purchase. If you found this article useful — please share it with your friends. Follow us on social media to stay up to date with more of the best online product reviews.
Why It is Better?
- Why Do You Need a Baby Lotion?
- How to Pick the Right Baby Lotion
- Top 5 Best Baby Lotions
- 1. Aveeno Baby Daily Moisture Lotion for Delicate Skin
- 2. Cetaphil Baby Daily Lotion with Organic Calendula
- 3. Baby Dove Face and Body Lotion Rich Moisture
- 4. Johnson’s Moisturizing Pink Baby Lotion with Coconut Oil
- 5. CeraVe Baby Lotion
- Types of Baby Lotions
- Frequently Asked Questions
Why Do You Need a Baby Lotion?
Baby lotion has been used for decades along with other optimized products like baby shampoos, baby laundry detergents and baby wipes to care for newborn babies all over the world. These are all staple additions to any parent’s arsenal when it comes to maximizing their baby’s health and cleanliness. If you’re wondering why, the answer simply lies in the fact that a baby’s skin is incredibly thin when compared to that of an older child or an adult. This means they are far more susceptible to damage from the outside world and even potential infection.
Though you’ll probably agree that an infant’s skin already feels very soft and moist, this is simply because at that age the body naturally ensures that an adequate level of hydration is imbued into the skin to offer protection from the outside world. Adequate is the key word here. Though the level of natural protection on offer is generally sufficient, it isn’t going to be enough to resist damage around the clock. This is why using a lotion is a sensible idea that will massively boost the level of moisture available in the skin cells.
There are a couple of means by which a lotion can achieve this end with the first being that it will serve as an “over” layer and seal in the natural moisture being produced. The second is that it will introduce and enhance the existing level of moisture. This dual barrier like mechanism means that you can seal in the necessary moisture required to protect your child against skin damage and infection. Some formulas are even optimized to help heal and revitalize already damaged skin, making them an absolute must.
Though they can be applied periodically throughout the day, the best time to introduce them is straight after bath time to seal in the moisture introduced whilst soaking in the tub.
How to Pick the Right Baby Lotion
In this section, we’re going to tell you how to separate the best baby lotions from one another to make the best choice that’s going to be completely right for your infant. As for choosing something like the safest baby wipes, baby nail clippers, or mosquito repellent for babies you need to make sure that you dive into the details prior to any purchase.
All choices should be completely individual and based on your specific needs when it comes to choosing any baby product, but the following key areas of comparison will help you to arrive at the best possible product conclusion.
- Skin type: Though a lotion will always be very water-heavy, typically meaning that it’ll glide across the skin and lock in moisture, some lotions have added ingredients to assist with skin healing if your child suffers from a condition like eczema. If you feel that your child has sensitive skin, then try to select something that’ll both moisturize and soothe it. Also, consider that you’ll need something with gentler ingredients when compared to other products so look out for items that have been specifically formulated for this reason.
- Safety/Allergens: It should go without saying that the best baby lotion options available are completely safe as a result of undergoing rigorous testing and product analysis. Obviously, this should be a minimum standard; however, every child is individual, meaning that you need to think about their own genetic makeup. Some children are allergic to certain ingredients; so, even the safest looking product on the planet might not be right for your child. You wouldn’t buy a baby mosquito net without checking was safe based on your child’s circumstances. So, don’t take any risks here either.
- Added fragrance? It’s a nice idea to buy a lotion that has a pleasant fragrance added as it’ll certainly make for a pleasant-smelling home, baby, and parent after an extended period of cuddling up to your child. But fragrances aren’t always a good thing as they can be engineered using artificial means. If your child suffers from sensitive skin or allergies then a fragrance can be an enormous trigger. Look at what the added fragrance contains first before making a decision, and stay away if it comprises of a concoction of chemicals.
- Chemicals: Organic baby lotion is one of the safest varieties if you want to stay away from nasty and potentially harmful chemical elements but you need to be incredibly careful because even the most innocent-seeming of formulas can contain hidden surprises. Scrutinize the ingredients list very carefully.
- Scent: In addition to checking for added fragrances, look out for the scent that they have (if there are any) because they might actually have beneficial effects if they’re all safe and natural. Lavender or chamomile, for instance, can have a soothing effect and aid with sleep. This can be a useful parent hack for moisturizing the skin whilst also benefitting other areas of your child’s health and daily routine.
- Pediatrician recommended: If your intended product, whether it be a baby wipe warmer or stroller, is supported by or engineered with pediatricians, then this is a pretty solid sign that it’s not only totally safe but also effective for its intended purpose too. Lotion formulations are no different. Wherever possible, it’s always good for peace of mind if you can purchase a pediatrician recommended or supported product.
- Brands: Whether you’re buying baby laundry hampers or a baby security blanket. It’s wise to buy from a manufacturer with a well-established history of product use as their widespread consumer base is a decent indication of product safety and efficiency. This principle is no different here either. Some of the best baby lotion manufacturers stocking the shelves right now are Johnson’s, Weleda, Earth Mama, Aveeno, California Baby, Neutrogena, Puracy, and Cetaphil. Any product acquired from one of the above brands is likely to meet your requirements.
Top 5 Best Baby Lotions
We’re now going to provide you with an overview of the five best possible options currently available on the market for your baby. It took us endless hours looking through everything from baby lotion for sensitive skin to the best all-round options for general use, and we’re completely satisfied that you don’t need to look beyond these products to achieve safe and effective skin hydration for your baby.
1. Aveeno Baby Daily Moisture Lotion for Delicate Skin Review
For sensitive skin
We Don’t Like
This one really does have it all. It has been formulated for use with sensitive skin in conjunction with being produced by a pediatrician-recommended brand, meaning that from the second you open the bottle you’ve got total peace of mind. What’s more, the formula contains ingredients proven to guarantee optimum hydration. This makes for not only a safe product but also a standout amongst others for achieving maximum benefit too.
Added into the list of positives is an incredibly long active life of 24 hours. This makes this a viable option for around the clock skin protection. There are no allergens to trigger any potential medical conditions, and the price is highly competitive for the quantity and active life of the product on offer. What’s not to love?
2. Cetaphil Baby Daily Lotion with Organic Calendula Review
For sensitive skin
We Don’t Like
For those who want the most practical lotion option possible, this product offers the best choice due to the variety of delivery formats and sizes on offer that will meet the requirements of any parent. The formula itself is free of artificial additives and its hydration effect will last for 24 hours, which is a respectable amount of time. However, due to the active life being 24 hours as per several other products, it can take a while to get through a large bottle.
This is why it’s so great that you can opt for a smaller quantity option and even a flip-top lid. This is beneficial as you don’t have to purchase large quantities at once and you can also carry the smaller size around in your baby bag. The formula has added vitamin E and sweet almond oil to further enhance the hydration effects on offer whilst nourishing your baby’s skin, and the product comes from a dermatologist-recommended brand.
3. Baby Dove Face and Body Lotion Rich Moisture Review
For sensitive skin
We Don’t Like
Coming from a highly reputable dermatologist and pediatrician supported/recommended brand, this formula is a pretty good all-rounder for providing excellent levels of hydration, optimum safety, and great value simultaneously. Dove is world-renowned as one of the best skincare brands for adults and children alike, so you know that what you’re getting in the bottle has been extensively tested by thousands of other people too which is super reassuring.
The formula lasts for 24 hours and is free of dyes, parabens, and other unwanted additives that could lead to skin irritation. It also has a mild fragrance which makes it a nicer smelling alternative than others in the same bracket. The real stand out here comes in the form of the optional value pack. You can pick up three bottles for an incredibly reasonable price when compared to purchasing an individual unit. This makes for a cheaper option than most in the long term.
4. Johnson’s Moisturizing Pink Baby Lotion with Coconut Oil Review
For sensitive skin
We Don’t Like
What makes this a super versatile choice is the fact that it isn’t only a great baby lotion for dry skin or sensitive skin. It’s also absolutely fantastic for adult skin too. This is thanks to the proven and highly effective natural ingredients that will benefit anyone, of any age. Intended for application to your baby’s skin after a warm bath, this mildly crafted formula will then seal in the moisture for up to 24 hours, providing a protective barrier against damage and potential infection.
As the formula includes coconut oil in its base, this makes it a universally practical product that can be used with adult skin. That’s great because it means that you don’t have to double up on moisturizer. The product bottle is also larger than many others on the market, meaning that it’ll last for longer. Doubly useful if mom decides to use it on her skin too. Johnson’s are a well-respected and world-renowned brand, meaning almost guaranteed satisfaction.
5. CeraVe Baby Lotion Review
For sensitive skin
We Don’t Like
Easily the best option for infants who have damaged skin or suffer from eczema, this is the product for you if you want cast-iron protection against skin damage. This offering has been accepted as highly effective by the National Eczema Association, meaning that should your child be facing any flare-ups at the moment this is the one-stop lotion solution you need to start making an immediate difference with total peace of mind.
There are no fragrances or nasty chemicals and the formula is incredibly mild to guarantee that your baby faces no irritation of any kind, whether it be skin or allergy based. With three integrated essential ceramides for advanced healing and restoration plus added vitamins, this is a great all-round choice for boosting skin health whilst offering excellent hydration for up to 24 hours. The downside? As you might expect, it’s costly when compared to other products.
Types of Baby Lotions
In this section, we’re going to summarize the different types of lotions available for purchase in one location as a means simplifying your choices before you make a final decision on which one to purchase. It’s worth noting that each type carries its own unique properties and may actually prove to be a more viable option than others for your individual circumstances.
- Cream solutions: Half oil and half water-based, these formulas are great for offering deep protection whilst still being malleable enough to spread with ease across the surface of the skin. Though they aren’t as thick as ointments, they’re still a little thicker than lotions for advanced protection.
- Ointments: An ointment formula is very thick and offers the deepest level of protection. It can be wise to make use of an ointment or cream if the surface of the skin is already broken to provide a protective barrier against further damage or infection.
- Lotions: Being mostly water-based, a lotion will allow you to seal in hydration whilst offering decent protection against damage or infection. Though the formula isn’t as thick as an ointment or cream, a lotion meets the general requirements of the majority of parents and babies cost-effectively. The above baby lotion varieties provide enough choice for any parent to effectively care for their baby’s skin, regardless of their individual requirements.
Frequently Asked Questions
In this section, we’re going to present you with the five most commonly asked questions about baby lotion so that we can put your mind totally at ease before you make a final product decision.
You won’t typically find an expiry listed anywhere on the label of these products, but that doesn’t mean that they last forever It’s best to consume them within several months of purchase, especially if they contain organic ingredients that are more susceptible to perishing.
Nothing that you can buy off the shelf or even from a pharmacy can ever be deemed to be 100% safe because no two babies are the same. They all have a different genetic makeup. This can lead to unexpected issues.
However, it’s completely safe to say that it’s almost definite that you’ll never encounter any problems provided you use an option that has been formulated for your baby’s skin type, and doesn’t contain any allergens.
Generally speaking, baby lotions are best used straight after a warm bath so they can seal in the moisture and protect your infant’s skin for a period of up to 24 hours. They can however be used at any point throughout the day, especially if your baby’s skin is feeling drier than normal.
No, you don’t have to. But it simply makes sense to, as the added hydration on offer when using a product of this type means that you’re massively reducing the risk of any issue occurring with your baby’s skin for extra protection added to the natural protection their body already produces.
If you select a product that is free of Paraben, Talc, Xanthan based substances, alcohol, coloring, DMDM, Isopropyl palmitate, and phthalates then you’re going to maximize your chances of there being no negative reaction in your baby’s skin.
After reading through today’s post, you are now fully educated on the world of baby lotions; including what their function is and how to look out for the best option for maximizing hydration whilst still adhering to the safety needs of your infant.
It can be stressful for a parent when choosing any baby product. As an infant is so fragile inside and out, there is always going to be a concern that you’ve made the right choice. Luckily, if you shop according to the key features we previously outlined you’re not going to have anything to worry about.
Whether your child suffers from damaged skin, requires a product that includes no allergens or simply needs a general all-round lotion that’ll meet basic hydration needs. You’ll definitely find what you’re looking for in our top five list.
So, what are you waiting for? Around-the-clock skin protection and a healthy, happy well-protected baby are all yours from the moment you click buy. Don’t hesitate a moment longer for total peace of mind.