Today we’re exploring the best nail clippers for newborns as this is a hot topic for parents everywhere — who simply don’t know where to turn when it comes to selecting a safe and effective product.
As babies have such sensitive and delicate little fingers, it’s only natural that cutting their nails can be a source of enormous apprehension. Luckily for you, we’re going to give you all the information you could ever need to compare products and make the right choice for you and your infant.
We have spent countless hours looking at features, manufacturers, and user reviews to present you with the best 5 options available on the market as well as a comprehensive rundown of why these products are so important and what the best varieties have to offer. Are you ready to find out everything you could ever need to know about the world of nail clippers for your baby? Let’s get stuck in.
How Did We Pick the Best Baby Nail Clippers?
The main aim of our articles is to make the buying process for our readers as simple, comfortable and effective as possible.
Every review we create is the result of an intricate study of the market, and customer feedback analysis. You’ll always get an honest final verdict. Only after endless hours of research, and once we’re satisfied that we’ve found the best products, do we then add them to our review list for your consideration.
We hope that you enjoy your purchase. If you found this article useful — please share it with your friends. Follow us on social media to stay up to date with more of the best online product reviews.
Why It is Better?
- Why Do You Need Baby Nail Clippers?
- How to Pick the Right Baby Nail Clipper
- Top 5 Best Baby Nail Clippers
- 1. The First Years American Red Cross Deluxe Nail Clipper with Magnifier
- 2. Safety 1st Steady Grip Infant Nail Clipper
- 3. Little Martin’s Drawer Baby Nail Trimmer File with Light
- 4. Consevisen Baby Nail File Electric Nail Trimmer Manicure Set with Nail Clippers
- 5. NailFrida The SnipperClipper Set by Fridababy
- Types of Baby Nail Clippers
- Frequently Asked Questions
Why Do You Need Baby Nail Clippers?
Ensuring that your little one’s nails are properly looked after is crucial for several reasons; the most paramount of them all being the lack of awareness your child has when it comes to any risk of injury at such a young age. As their nails grow, you’ll find that they continue to scratch and paw at their delicate faces, completely unaware of the danger presented by long nails. This leads to lots of scratches and irritation if nothing is done to safeguard against this happening.
Some believe that a pair of adult nail scissors or clippers will adequately meet their needs when it comes to their infant and nail cutting, but this poses an enormous risk for several reasons. Think about it this way, you’d use specially formulated baby laundry detergent or baby wipes, as opposed to similar adult ones, because they’re specially created with infants in mind. Cutting nails is no different and requires optimized equipment.
This is why baby nail clippers were developed in the first place. Adult variants are very much a one-size-fits-all option that don’t offer much by the way of accuracy and protection against injury. It probably goes without saying that you need these added elements to cut a baby’s nails. Market-leading baby clippers are precision instruments that have been optimized for delicacy, accuracy, and maximum visibility so that you can effectively take off excess nail without once coming anywhere near your infant’s skin. They have been designed with parents’ concerns firmly in mind.
With the addition of everything from inbuilt magnifying glasses, to spy holes and LED lights to ensure maximum visibility. You simply can’t achieve the same results and with the same level of safety as you can when you incorporate one of these carefully and specifically engineered products.
How to Pick the Right Baby Nail Clipper
There are a few really important areas to consider in your pursuit of effective clippers for newborns. We’re happy to say that in this section, we’ve effectively summarized them all so that you can make some quick comparisons.
It’s important to understand that like a baby security blanket, baby laundry hampers, or baby mosquito net, you’ve got unique buying criteria on your hands here that require a modest degree of understanding if you’re going to get the most viable product for your child. These are the areas to focus on if you want to find the best options on the market.
- Battery powered? Some clippers will require you to manually clip every time you use them. This can be a little off-putting when you’re trying not to cut too deeply and focus on the task at hand to avoid any potential injury. This is where electric variants can come in handy, as they will allow you to simply aim and cut without having to perform any additional hand movements. This maximizes safety.
- Edges: Some of the safest options feature curved edges that make it significantly easier to avoid any risk of accidental cutting in the wrong area. They’re more desirable than straight-edged clippers for this reason, and any apprehensive parent should look for this feature as standard for peace of mind.
- Nail boards: To fully round off and smooth the nail ends out after cutting, some clipper variants have inbuilt emery boards that mean you can file down any rough edges after cutting to ensure that there are no nasty pieces of snagging nail to catch your infant’s skin. This is an excellent safety feature that not only improves the nail’s looks but more importantly, it reduces the risk of scratches to your baby’s face or other parts of their body.
- Inbuilt light: An amazing additional feature built-in by some manufacturers is an LED light that will illuminate the area you’re cutting to ensure that you don’t accidentally cut your baby’s little fingers. It’s a great addition for the safety-conscious.
- Spy hole/magnifier: For those looking for the “total package” when it comes to safeguarding against injury, the addition of an inbuilt magnifier or spy hole can be massively helpful. The peace of mind they offer for an anxious parent is second to none. Magnifiers will simply enlarge the cutting site, whilst a spy hole will give 100% pinpoint visibility on the exact area being snipped. Either is incredibly useful and sure to take the edge off for a nervous parent, especially if they’re a first-timer.
- Style & design: No two products are the same, and the addition of fun colors and characters can put a baby totally at ease about this part of their weekly routine. Even if you want something that compliments the colors of their existing array of products for your own satisfaction, there’ll be an option out there.
- Pediatrician recommended? Choosing a product that has been supported by pediatricians is a good way to ensure that it is of the safest and most efficient standard possible. This is true regardless of whether you’re buying nail clippers, baby shampoo, a baby wipe warmer, or mosquito repellent for babies. It’s a universally ideal accreditation to have. That doesn’t mean that a product not carrying the “supported by pediatricians” badge isn’t worthwhile, but it’s certainly reassuring information to have. It guarantees high quality.
- Brands: By default, a brand name doesn’t automatically make a product better for one child over another. You should always shop based on individual circumstances and requirements. However, the following is a list of manufacturers that are known to provide highly reputable products that are sure to meet your every need: Piyo, Little Martins Drawer, Fridababy, Zoli, Safety 1st, Consevisen, Nail Frida, Simba. The best baby nail clippers money can buy come from the above manufacturers and are sold at all good retail outlets.
Top 5 Best Baby Nail Clippers
After looking through every possible option and feature on the market, we arrived at a final list of five products that we genuinely feel are the best for you to spend your hard-earned money on. You’ll find something to suit everyone’s preferences and requirements here.
1. The First Years American Red Cross Deluxe Nail Clipper with Magnifier Review
Easy to hold
Easy to use
We Don’t Like
As an excellent one product suits all manual option, it’s genuinely hard to find a better offering than this clipper from the American Red Cross. It pretty much does it all and does it incredibly well. The first positive here is that it has been engineered by a company that puts safety at the forefront of absolutely everything they do, with the reputation and user history to match for total peace of mind and reassurance.
The product itself features a well-rounded housing for maximum comfort and precision when cutting in conjunction with rounded blades to ensure that there are no straight/hard edges to catch on your child’s skin. With an included 4 x zoom magnifier too, you’ve got everything you need for safe and effective clipping. The price tag is also immensely low, so it’s light on the wallet.
2. Safety 1st Steady Grip Infant Nail Clipper Review
Easy to hold
Easy to use
We Don’t Like
For those who want baby nail clippers with an optimized grip for maximum comfort, this is definitely the right option for you. With a robust, durable housing and an encased rubber, ribbed grip. You’ll be able to get a firm hold of this unit without having to worry about any slippage in the process, thus ensuring maximum safety while cutting. The blade edges are rounded too, so there’s no risk of sharp snagging or taking off too much nail at once.
The easy to use mechanism simply requires gentle pressure to be applied with which the precision-engineered blades will comfortably remove any excess nail. Despite the high-quality build, the only downside here really is that there aren’t any additional features like a magnifier or spyhole. Considering it costs more than other options that include these elements, that’s somewhat of a shame. On the plus side, it’s still likely got the safest grip available.
3. Little Martin’s Drawer Baby Nail Trimmer File with Light Review
Easy to hold
Easy to use
We Don’t Like
This electronic trimmer is absolutely the best on the market for those who want a premium option that does it all with an added LED light to boot. One of the reasons why this product is so great is that it features an array of files that are designed for use with newborn babies or infants aged 12 months or above. This means you can keep and use the item for most of your baby’s infancy, and beyond.
The excellent compact high build quality and safe filing mechanism mean that this clipper is up to the task anytime, anywhere. Neatly store it away in between uses and make use of the array of included heads to properly refine your baby’s nails after shortening. If there’s a downside at all, it’s the price tag and lack of a diverse array of bonus features to assist with the filing process like a magnifier or spy hole. Overall, this is easily the best option for the quality conscious.
4. Consevisen Baby Nail File Electric Nail Trimmer Manicure Set with Nail Clippers Review
Easy to hold
Easy to use
We Don’t Like
Hands down the best baby nail clippers for value for money, this highly versatile electronic option delivers all of the best features of premium brand clippers of a similar build at more than a 3rd less cost. With 10 grinding heads included, you can trim your baby’s nails throughout their entire infancy while being able to gently smooth and polish them afterward to ensure that there isn’t any risk of rough or sharp edges still being there to cause damage.
The product housing is robust and it’ll definitely last for a considerable amount of time, all whilst being compact and easy to store inside your baby bag for on-the-go clipping when you’re out and about. Electronic functionality means no manual pressure is needed greatly reducing the risk of any injury occurring due to slippage. There’s even an included nail clipper in case you want to apply a quick manual touch up. For the price, the value on offer here is insane.
5. NailFrida The SnipperClipper Set by Fridababy Review
Easy to hold
Easy to use
We Don’t Like
With expertly crafted curved blades, a comfortable unit housing that’ll minimize any risk of slippage and an integrated spy hole to ensure that you’re not the slightest of millimeters off the mark when cutting. This is easily the safest option available. The spyhole design featured here is patented so you won’t see it anywhere else. You’re also going to get a curved nail file included so that you can fully finish off the job by smoothing out and eradicating any potential sharpness left on the nail.
Safe for all ages, you can use this product right the way up to toddlerhood safely and effectively thus negating the need to make additional purchases. The build quality on offer is also robust and durable. If there are any downsides, they’d mainly revolve around the price and additional elements. This isn’t cheap for a manual clipper and aside from the spyhole, there aren’t any other inbuilt safety features.
Types of Baby Nail Clippers
In this section, we’re going to summarize the different types of baby nail clippers on offer. This should serve as a quick reference section for you to come back to before making a final purchase to remind you of the benefits that each type presents.
- Scissors: There are many baby nail scissors available for purchase as an alternative to manual or electric clippers, but they’re not quite on the same level in terms of quality and safety. Or at least this is usually the case. Scissors are a viable manual option for those that want something uncomplicated, but as your baby gets older you’re going to need something that has been engineered for total precision and safety. Scissors typically don’t offer much in the way of either, despite their accessible nature.
- Manual trimmers: There’s absolutely nothing wrong with a manual trimming option provided you’re willing to invest patience and time into making sure that you’re super careful when cutting. Many manual options have been designed with utmost safety and precision in mind, and often include safety features. The downside is of course the fact that you have to apply manual pressure in order to use them, which can increase the risk of it slipping and potential injury. Aside from that aspect, they’re a completely viable and safe option for the steady-handed and confident parent.
- Electronic clippers: Electronic clippers are a great choice for those who don’t want to rely on manual precision and pressure to safely and effectively cut their baby’s nails. Usually, an electronic variant will, in fact, file the nail down as opposed to trimming it, but the end result is still the same. Often, the additional heads on an electronic option will allow you to properly polish and finish a cut nail to a higher degree of safety than manual varieties. The only real downside is that they’re typically more expensive.
Frequently Asked Questions
In this section, we’re going to present five of the most frequently asked questions about baby clippers by prospective purchasers. We’ll then answer them effectively to ensure that you’ve got total peace of mind before making a final product decision using our list of features to compare, or our top five list of products.
On average, you will need to cut your baby’s nails once per week in order to ensure maximum safety and reduce any injury risk from scratching.
Typically, it’s best to cut their nails after a bath when the nails are already moist and soft. This will mean that they are easier to cut, thus ensuring less pressure is required and reduce injury or slippage risk.
Though there are several positions in which you can effectively cut your baby’s nails; ideally, they should be placed flat on their back with your arm cradling them behind their back to serve as support. This means both hands can be used to secure and cut with.
If used correctly clippers are as safe as baby lotion or any other infant product. Provided your baby is placed in a firm position, then any clipper variant that you see on the shelves should be 110% safe as long as you use it as directed. Simply put, a product would not pass the testing stage and get stocked by a major retailer if it wasn’t safe.
Yes, you can, but the risk of injury is much higher as these products haven’t been optimized for use with infants. They simply don’t offer the same safety or visibility. It’s always best to use a product that has been specifically designed for use with infants and toddlers.
After reading through today’s post, you should now be completely confident about purchasing a set of clippers, be they manual or electronic, safe in the knowledge that you’ve made the best choice possible for your baby. It can be daunting when a parent first imagines applying a set of trimmers to their baby’s nails, but once you realize how safe and effective these precision-engineered products are you realize that there’s truly little to worry about.
Whether you want to opt for something with an array of safety features like magnifying glasses, lights, and spy holes, or you want something basic that’ll safely do the job without any additional complications. You’ve got everything you need at your fingertips. Select one of our five best trimmers now and enjoy the peace of mind that comes with knowing your baby will not be harmed by sharp nails, either now or ever.