When it comes to supplementary baby products that are designed to make your life as a parent easier, there’s almost nothing out there that offers as much convenience as the best baby backpack carrier models on the market. The world of opportunities they open up is enormous.
It’s a known fact that traditional hand carriers can be cumbersome and restrictive. The freedom of movement and possibilities that these back worn alternatives offer makes for significantly more enjoyable family trips out while still keeping your baby safe. We dived deep into every corner of the internet to present you with all of the key features that go into creating the best versions of these products so that you can make an effective decision that’ll work perfectly for you and your baby. There’s no need to look anywhere else.
How Did We Pick the Best Baby Backpack Carrier?
The main aim of our articles is to make the buying process for our readers as simple, comfortable and effective as possible.
Every review we create is the result of an intricate study of the market, and customer feedback analysis. You’ll always get an honest final verdict. Only after endless hours of research, and once we’re satisfied that we’ve found the best products, do we then add them to our review list for your consideration.
We hope that you enjoy your purchase. If you found this article useful — please share it with your friends. Follow us on social media to stay up to date with more of the best online product reviews.
Why It is Better?
- Why Do You Need a Baby Backpack Carrier?
- How to Pick the Right Baby Backpack Carrier
- Top 5 Best Baby Backpack Carriers
- 1. Ergobaby Carrier, Original 3-Position Baby Carrier
- 2. ClevrPlus Cross Country Baby Backpack Hiking Child Carrier
- 3. Osprey Packs Poco AG Child Carrier
- 4. Thule Sapling Elite Child Carrier Backpack
- 5. Kelty Journey PerfectFIT Signature Series Child Carrier
- Types of Baby Backpack Carriers
- Frequently Asked Questions
Why Do You Need a Baby Backpack Carrier?
The best baby backpacks on the market offer one of the most convenient options possible for transporting your baby safely and effectively without having to compromise on your freedom of movement in the process. Somebody had the bright idea to take a basic backpack design and transform it into a safe location for you to place your baby so that you can walk around freely with them either mounted on your back or facing you forward. The world of baby transportation has changed forever.
There are an enormous array of benefits to making use of a mobile baby travel system like this, but one of the most prominent has to be that they allow you to continue with your daily movement uninterrupted, thus making trips out for long walks or even casual shopping much easier.
They also allow your child to remain close to you at all times, which instils a state of comfort and calm. Other carrying options can lead to your child feeling distanced and anxious. The closeness can assist in helping them to feel relaxed and therefore display better behaviour patterns in the process. Regardless of why you’d choose to make use of one, they unquestionably make taking your baby with you wherever you go an incredibly easy task.
How to Pick the Right Baby Backpack Carrier
As per any infant orientated product, whether it’s a baby beach tent or diapers, you’ve got to effectively compare all of the key areas if you want to ensure that you get something that’s going to be optimum for you and your child. A baby backpack is no different and requires careful attention to detail when you’re doing comparison shopping online or in-store. We’re now going to highlight all of the most important areas to consider before you decide to make a purchase.
- Is it safe? This is the question of all questions when it comes to choosing the right carrier. You’ll need to take this area as seriously as you would if you were shopping for a crucial item like a baby life jacket or effective stroller. If you consider that safety is important when you’re using handheld carriers due to the risk of injury to your child if anything goes wrong with the handle (for example), then consider the added risk with a backpack. Look for highly durable models that place a huge emphasis on safety and security with a good reputation for offering products that have been used extensively to great satisfaction.
- How heavy is it? Anyone using baby carriers hiking for mile after mile through a city or rural area knows that this is an incredibly important area to think about. Naturally, a baby is going to feel quite heavy after a while no matter what their body weight is, but if your carrier adds to that, it can lead to serious strain. The best carrier options are made out of incredibly lightweight material that safely houses your baby without adding any significant weight to them in the process. This simply makes it easier and safer to walk with your infant strapped to you for longer.
- Comfort: When it comes to comfort, it’s a two way street with the best baby backpack options. Not only does your baby need to feel comfortable, but so do you. It’s important that your chosen model has effective padding in all of the right places to avoid any digging and discomfort. Consider the areas that will be making contact with you and your baby the most and check to see what kind of protection has been integrated into them to ensure that neither of you suffer from any discomfort or pain during long-term use.
- How adjustable is it? As per comfort, adjustability works both ways with these products as you need to adjust a pack effectively enough to make it secure and snug while you’re wearing it, but your child also needs to sit comfortably in the saddle or cockpit without being uncomfortable. The best options offer a wide array of adjustability to ensure that you can cater them for use with any infant, of any weight and size while also being able to place them properly on your back or front for effective carrying.
- Storage options: This is a hugely important area to think about considering that you might be carrying your baby for a long period of time. If your carrier doesn’t have any effective storage then you aren’t going to be able to store any solid food or liquid. To ensure that your little one doesn’t go hungry when you’re adventuring out in the world, try to purchase an option that comes packing plenty of compartments for the safe storage of everything they need for sustenance. If you can store some of your own items, that’s an enormous bonus, too!
- Is it well-ventilated? Ventilation is incredibly important and the best options come with plenty of spaces to accommodate free flowing air so that neither you or your child overheat when you’re walking around on a hot day. It’s worth noting that while many options offer effective ventilation for the infant being carried, there aren’t many that offer quite the same level for adults too. Try to get something that’ll keep you both as cool as possible.
- Additional features: Some of the additional features offered by some manufacturers can turn an already practical product into a highly versatile all-encompassing travel companion thanks to bonus features like stirrups, zip-off day packs, water storage and around the body, and weather shields. It’s a given these days that the best beach stuff for babies or cots and other items are going to provide added value for the money you pay if they’re going to be a competitive option, and this is absolutely the case with backpack carriers, too. Though you might just want something simple that assists with carrying only, a model that offers added extras can make an enormous difference to your travelling enjoyment by supporting in as many areas and in as many different ways as possible.
- Brands: Whether you’re looking for baby sunglasses or bottles, purchasing a product from a highly reputable brand can be an excellent way of ensuring that you’re getting a super high quality item that is already being used to a high degree of satisfaction by thousands of people all over the world. Some of the manufacturers currently producing an array of the best baby backpack carrier options on the market right now are: Ergobaby, Osprey, Deuter, Kelty, ClevrPlus, Thule, Phil & Teds, and Piggyback Rider. Any item purchased from the above list of manufacturers will lead to utmost satisfaction.
Top 5 Best Baby Backpack Carriers
In this section, we’re going to present you with what we feel are the five best carrier options on the market. We’ve done this for those who don’t like to spend countless hours performing comparison shopping online or in store. Each one of the items listed here is featured because it’s particularly strong in a certain area, but it’s worth mentioning that they’re all fantastic general options that’ll suit anyone’s baby carrying needs, too.
1. Ergobaby Carrier, Original 3-Position Baby Carrier Review
Easy to use
We Don’t Like
For those who want to get their hands on the best baby backpack possible that offers a wide variety of style options, additional features, high quality, and pretty much everything you could ever need from a product like this without charging the earth for it, then you’re in luck. This model from Ergobaby comes packing an enormous amount of quality with its durable, comfortable, and stylish padded housing that won’t dig in when you wear it for extended periods along with plenty of storage space for your infant’s food and drink.
It’ll suit babies aged anywhere from 4 to 48 months, meaning that once you’ve purchased it, there’ll be no need to make a model switch as your baby grows and the variety of patterns on offer means you won’t get bored of it, either. If there’s a negative, it’s that some models are much more expensive than others seemingly based on the pattern alone, which will irritate those who have to pay more for the one they want.
2. ClevrPlus Cross Country Baby Backpack Hiking Child Carrier Review
Easy to use
We Don’t Like
Even though build quality and safety are paramount when you’re shopping for any baby backpack, the truth is that you’re going to have to spend a lot of time with it, and it’s you as a parent that’s going to be wearing it. This means that it ideally needs to suit your style preferences. Luckily, this model comes in a variety of four different basic colors that should serve to suit pretty much anybody’s preferred style without complicating things with busy patterns. The decision to stick with basic block coloring means that the design is non-invasive and easy to work with.
There’s no shortage of quality either thanks to the high level of weather resistance and durable construction that even offers an integrated weather shield to ensure that your infant isn’t exposed to the elements. The price is another positive because it’s almost as low as some of the cheapest options whilst offering a more robust product in the process. It’s a winner on nearly every front.
3. Osprey Packs Poco AG Child Carrier Review
Easy to use
We Don’t Like
Whether it’s a baby sun hat or stroller, the last thing any parent needs is to make their already hectic day more stressful than it needs to be due to having to haul heavy, bulky, and cumbersome items around. Luckily, many companies out there understand this. Osprey are a market-leading backpack manufacturer offering some of the most cutting edge designs when it comes to lightweight packs that have enormous storage capacities whilst being really light and comfortable. They’ve focused their expertise on the baby carrier market in this instance.
The result is a premium looking lightweight pack that delivers all of the high end security and adjustability you’d expect from a renowned brand like this whilst providing plenty of storage and seriously good looks too. It’s a winner on almost every front. Sadly, the price tag is much higher than several other products on the market but for the peace of mind on offer it’s more than worth it.
4. Thule Sapling Elite Child Carrier Backpack Review
Easy to use
We Don’t Like
If you’ve got the money to spare, then there’s almost nothing out there that can match this pack from Thule for high build quality, comfort, and security. It offers an entire host of excellent features while not once compromising on the core importance of delivering comfortable carrying. Designed to accommodate anything from a quick trip to the shops to a long hike in the great outdoors, you’ll never have to worry about having the freedom to go on family trips with your baby again. The lightweight material and ample storage make extended use incredibly easy.
It looks great and the additional stabilizer straps mean that your child will feel secure and comfortable at all times. Another premium addition is solid metal struts that allow the pack to sit safely upright on the ground when feeding time comes around. As with any premium product the negative here is the price tag. But the pack is genuinely worth every penny and is a market leading option on every front.
5. Kelty Journey PerfectFIT Signature Series Child Carrier Review
Easy to use
We Don’t Like
Though this is a great general option due to it being so robustly built and having an enormous amount of integrated storage and adjustability, it’s the comfort on offer here that makes it stand out from the crowd, and specifically the attention to detail with the integrated padding. The key to making a successful pack is to ensure that it’s safe while being as comfortable for a baby as it is for an adult. That’s precisely what the focus was when developing this item leading to an excellent end result.
Every important area, whether it’s the neck or back, have received maximum padding integration to ensure that every major area is supported while the high quality fabric build is incredibly durable and high quality with an enormous degree of adjustability for extended use. There’s almost nothing you can fault here. Even the integrated storage is more than adequate enough to suit almost anyone’s needs. The price is a little high, but it’s easily outmatched by the functionality and quality.
Types of Baby Backpack Carriers
We’re now going to summarise the different varieties of back pack carrier available for your baby so that you’re fully aware of the many options at your disposal before you make a final purchase decision. This will assist you in making the most effective choice for your baby.
Sling carriers: These simplistic carriers offer an affordable and simple traditional baby transportation method via means of a durable ring with connecting material straps that can be worn across the body with the weight being primarily placed on one shoulder.
Soft frameless carriers: These varieties are super lightweight and are a convenient option for sparing use when your infant is old enough to walk but might need a little light relief along the way during longer trips. They can be worn on the front or back of the body and are best used infrequently when needed.
Backpack carriers: Designed for frequent and extended use these options provide the best all round solution to baby carrying offering maximum comfort, durability, and security regardless of trip length and can be worn across the back or in many cases the front of the body, too.
Tie wraps: An all fabric, super cost effective solution to short-term baby carrying, these soft and comfortable models simply require the parent to place the child on the back or front and tie the end pieces of joining fabric together for secure placement. They are not designed for extended long-term use.
Frequently Asked Questions
You’ll naturally have lots of questions to ask about your prospective product being that it’s being used with your baby. Whether you want to use a baby life jacket or an outdoor baby swing, it’s important that no stone is left unturned when it comes to you achieving total peace of mind. The only way this can occur is by asking the right questions and receiving the right answers.
We’ll now present you with the five most commonly asked questions about baby backpack carrier products that prospective buyers have before purchase along with the most effective answers to give you total peace of mind before you start using them.
Packs are available for infants of almost any age. Simply check the manufacturers specifications prior to purchase for the most accurate information on age ranges for your chosen product.
You simply need to adjust the straps so that you can place two fingers between the top of the pack and your shoulders. Provided the hip belt is tight and secure, this will take some of the load out of the shoulder area and provide relief while still being safe.
Yes they can, if you purchase a suitable option. Some models come with inbuilt weather shields. If you’re planning to spend extended periods of time outdoors then it would be worth investing in a product that offers this feature.
As per any infant product like a baby bike trailer or bottle warmer, when it comes to your infant, we totally understand that safety is paramount. Just like with these other items, it’s all about paying close attention to the product specifications and instructions for a positive experience.
Provided you shop based on the correct age range for your baby and securely tighten the unit as directed by the manufacturer, they are absolutely safe.
All packs of this nature have weight limits, but they’re always significantly higher than the highest potential weight of any baby. This means that you’ll never have to worry about the pack breaking when your child is placed in it.
Now that you’ve read through to the end of today’s post you should have the total confidence needed to make an effective back pack carrier purchase for your baby. Whether you’re shopping for a baby sun hat or the best infant bicycle carriers. You need to do your homework if you want to get something that’s going to offer maximum safety and quality for your child. Backpack carriers are the same and a little diligence and attention to detail can go a long way.
By using the key features in our “how to pick” section you can easily sift through the best and worst products out there in this field. If you don’t have time for that, any of the five options in our best of list will meet your satisfaction. Choose one now for a future of hassle-free baby transportation.