For the mom who wants the best for her newborn, there are many reusable baby food pouches on the market. Consequently, choosing from the wide range of products becomes terribly difficult. Before we go any further, it is important to understand what a baby food pouch is. It is a flexible, bag-like container used to store a baby’s meal. With that container, you do not have to skip his or her lunch or dinner as your little man can feed himself unaided.(Or your little lady for that matter). You’ve probably seen them beautifully displayed on the shelves of the grocery stores near your home. You’ve seen then and now you want to gift your little man one of them but are not sure which one to choose.
To make that happen, you make endless searches all over the internet, hoping to purchase the best product money can buy. But in the end, you feel frustrated with the long lists that randomly came your way. If you find yourself in this situation, search no more. In this guide, we have done all the legwork for you just so you do not have to search any farther. We will walk you through the results of our exhaustive research to help you make a pick. To be precise, this guide will focus on their features, pros, cons, and much more. We will also dissect the key features you need to know about these feeding accessories, how to use them, why you need them, and the factors to keep in mind before making that all-important pick.
How Did We Pick the Best Reusable Baby Food Pouches?
The main aim of our articles is to make the buying process for our readers as simple, comfortable and effective as possible.
Every review we create is the result of an intricate study of the market, and customer feedback analysis. You’ll always get an honest final verdict. Only after endless hours of research, and once we’re satisfied that we’ve found the best products, do we then add them to our review list for your consideration.
We hope that you enjoy your purchase. If you found this article useful — please share it with your friends. Follow us on social media to stay up to date with more of the best online product reviews.
Why It is Better?
- Why Do You Need Reusable Baby Food Pouches?
- How to Pick Right Reusable Baby Food Pouches
- Top 5 Best Reusable Baby Food Pouches
- 1. Healthy Planet Solutions Reusable Food Pouch Clear Plastic Storage
- 2. Aqua 6 oz Squeasy Snacker Spill Proof Silicone Reusable Food Pouch
- 3. Squooshi Reusable Food Pouch Combo Pack 1
- 4. Squooshi Reusable Food Pouch | G.O. 8 Pack
- 5. WeeSprout Double Zipper Reusable Food Pouches
- How to Use Reusable Baby Food Pouches
- Frequently Asked Questions
Why Do You Need Reusable Baby Food Pouches?
Although we answered this question earlier, we will explain it in detail. You see, these reusable pouches are containers that you fill with meals for self-feeding. Before now, the most common ones were disposable ones, which you used once and disposed of. Nonetheless, lately, to relieve mums of the cost of feeding their neonates, brands in the production of these feeding accessories stepped up the game by launching reusable food pouches for babies. Today, moms are increasingly embracing them.
- They ease mom’s duty: First, these containers are convenient to use. With them, mothers do not need to prepare their babies’ food only when their babies need to eat. As a mother, you can prepare the food ahead of time, fill the container, and store it. When it is time to feed your newborn, you can easily open its cap and feed your little one. With this benefit, you can focus on other things that matter to you. These are also handy when you are on a long journey. If you have previously been using glass jars, you may have found them difficult to carry around and stopover to feed your child. However, with reusable ones, you can easily take the pouch out and hand it over to the little one to self-feed. No doubt, that sounds like fun and a huge relief of stress.
- They are convenient for babies to use: In addition to making a mother’s life easier, the containers are much convenient for your little ones to use. Indeed, with the resealable baby food pouches, your child can conveniently feed itself. This is more useful when you do not have enough time to sit down and feed him. With the squeeze-and-feed feature of these reusable meal jars, your child can easily put the food into his mouth. Truly, this is yet another benefit that you do not get from an old-fashioned glass jar. It’s simply not realistic s difficult to give a glass jar to your newborn and expect him to feed himself. Nevertheless, with a refillable pouch, you can focus on other things while your baby enjoys his meal.
- They are pocket-friendly: The cost of reusable meal containers is lower than disposable ones — compared to how often you would have to buy new disposable ones. What’s more, when you buy the disposable type, you dispose of it immediately after your newborn is through with the content. However, with recyclable ones, you can prepare his food and transfer it into them. This saves you the cost of a new container for your infant. In fact, you can use a refillable one for one year. If you would want to use it for your child over this one-year period, we both know how high the price climbs.
- They do not harm your child: When you buy a refillable pouch, you do not have a say in what the food content in the jar is. You can only choose the one you want on the market. However, with reusable baby food pouches, you prepare his food and determine what ingredients they contain. What’s more, you can decide the quality of sugar in his diet — among other ingredients. Another aspect where these recyclable containers do not harm your child is that every part is flexible. In addition, the spout is soft for your child to suck his meal. When they eventually drop from your little man’s hand onto his lap they do not bruise him.
How to Pick Right Reusable Baby Food Pouches
Before you go on to make your choice of reusable meal bag for your child, there are certain factors to take into consideration. We have briefly discussed them here:
- Size: Knowing the quantity of food he eats in a serving is important for a mom. You don’t want to buy a small food holder that will not satisfy his appetite. In addition, you would not want to opt for an extremely large one. Buying a large one means you might overfill it and your newborn won’t be able to finish it, leading to waste. Therefore, you should rather go for one that is a just little larger than what he will normally eat at one time.
- Material: A child’s immune system can be weak to resist the effects of dangerous materials. As a result, the material from which the reusable meal bag is made should matter to you. Do not settle for the type made from BPA, PVC, or phthalates. These materials have been associated with serious medical issues, such as hormone disruption and cancer.
- Easy to clean: How easy it is to clean the container also matters. More so the shape of the food holder determines it. We firmly advise that you consider rounded corner ones, as they do not hold much food particles after use. Another factor that determines how easy it is to wash it is if you can open the zipper to turn the container inside out.
- Zipper location: Every baby food holder contains a zipper closure, which is located at its side or bottom. A side closure is preferable over a bottom closure as they tend to leak with time. So, if you go for a bottom closure and it begins to leak, the whole contents of the bad may fall on his lap, thus defeating the aim of using a refillable type.
- Compatible with your baby food maker: It is also necessary that you consider how compatible the pouch is with his food maker. It will be annoying to buy a type only to discover that it is not compatible with the food maker you chose for him. So, you should check this before you buy one.
- Freezer saver: As a mother, you have other responsibilities on top of feeding your newborn. In fact, there are occasions you may not have time to prepare his meal and wish you had one stored for future use. In addition, there are occasions where you prepare more meals than he can finish. This is when a refillable baby food holder comes in handy, by filling the food holder and tossing in the freezer.
- Durability: How long you can reuse the pouch also matters. It is not ideal to buy a type that will only last a month or two. Generally, a good refillable container should last for a year. How long a pouch lasts is determined by the quality of materials. Just like everything else on the market, there are poor and high-quality reusable meal bags.
- Brand: Does the brand have a good reputation for their products, or they are just launching their first products onto the market. If your response to the former is a “yes”, you are good to buy from them as you will not want to be the first to buy a product, which may not meet your expectations. Some of the brands you should look out for include Infantino, Simple Modern, Yummi Pouch, etc.
- Age range: When making a choice of the most suitable one for your little man, it is also key to consider the age range which the particular it is made for. Is the container meant for babies, or is it meant for older kiddies? The thing is, buying one for the correct the age range will ensure that the one you ultimately settle for is not too big or small for him.
- Spout softness: The spout is the small opening through which your child sucks the yummy meal. It is more comfortable and safer for him to suck through soft spouts than hard ones because his mouth is delicate. Therefore, look out for kiddie food holders with soft spouts.
- Ease of squeezing:Since your little man does not have much strength to squeeze hard containers, it is necessary to provide with him a flexible container. When you leave him to self-feed, it will be easier for him to do so if the pouch is flexible to squeeze.
Top 5 Best Reusable Baby Food Pouches
1. Healthy Planet Solutions Reusable Food Pouch Clear Plastic Storage Review
Easy to clean
Easy to use
We Don’t Like
The first impression this product gives is how it comes with one transparent side. With this side, you can see its contents. There will times when you want to check if his meal is still okay to eat, most especially if it has been left for a while. With this container, you need not open to see what is inside. Additionally, with the transparent side, you can easily see how much is left.
They are easy to wash as they can be completely opened to clean inside. This product comes with a leak-proof dual zipper, which is also an attractive feature that prevents any mess that may occur through a leaking zipper. We must not fail to say this is a reusable squeeze pouch that is freezer safe. With that feature, moms who love preserving their little men’s meals can make the most of it. Truly, you can recycle them when your child does not need them again.
2. Aqua 6 oz Squeasy Snacker Spill Proof Silicone Reusable Food Pouch Review
Easy to clean
Easy to use
We Don’t Like
You probably did not like the products we reviewed earlier. If that is the case, here comes another baby food holder you should consider. One of the challenges of this product is to fill with no mess. Nonetheless, the manufacturer considered that hitch and packed it with food-grade silicon. This open-mouth top makes it convenient for you to fill it with less mess. More importantly, it comes in three sizes, allowing you to give your neonate the amount of food he needs per meal. You can also choose your favorite color as it comes in different colors. How amazing!
When washing, you can completely turn it inside out to make it easy to wash. Besides, if you do not want to hand wash, you can easily throw it in the dishwater. You may also want to go for it if you consider its silicon material. The truth is, the material makes sure you can use the product longer than the reusable food pouches for babies on the market. With all these benefits and more, we firmly believe that you should seriously consider gifting your little man this meal holder.
3. Squooshi Reusable Food Pouch Combo Pack 1 Review
Easy to clean
Easy to use
We Don’t Like
This is coming as an 8-in-one pack. If you gift your little man this reusable squeeze pouch, you have 6 large-sized and 2 small-sized containers. With this product, you can choose which one to use, based on his appetite. The soft tops also make them less harmful for him to self-feed. The product comes with 12 tops to replace the ones you keep in your office and car. Moreover, it is easy to clean as the bottom can be opened effortlessly.
This is not only necessary for an easy wash but to help you fill it with less mess. This feature stands out among reusable food holders with its great design. Since newborns like beautiful designs, you may want to choose this. You also have a label on it that enables you to record important information, such as the time his food was prepared. This makes sure you are not feeding him spoiled food.
4. Squooshi Reusable Food Pouch | G.O. 8 Pack Review
Easy to clean
Easy to use
We Don’t Like
This is yet another product you should consider gifting your little one. We bet he is going to enjoy using this feeding accessory a great deal. Perhaps he is older, and you are confused about choosing the right baby food holder for him. Not minding the gender, this is the ideal food container to consider for your older kids as it comes in a fairly large size. This lets you have enough food for him/her at a time. It also makes less of a mess as it comes with a leak-proof opening.
The materials used in making this do not include PVC, BPA, or Phthalates. Still, since it comes in around-shape, it is easy for you to wash, with fewer food particles clogging in it. You can use this container for keeping both meals and fruit juice. This gives you the feeling that you are getting the real value for your money. Truly, all these benefits show why it deserves a spot on this list, and you should try it today.
5. WeeSprout Double Zipper Reusable Food Pouches Review
Easy to clean
Easy to use
We Don’t Like
Although this is the last product on our list, it is just as good as those that came before it. One setback of using reusable food pouches is how food particles can get stuck, even after washing. This can lead to the growth of bacteria and poses a risk to your little one. Nevertheless, with this double zippered type, you can feed your newborn fresh food each time you refill this reusable baby food container.
Since this comes in a rounded design, there no corners for food particles to get stuck. Another feature you may find fascinating about this meal bag is its transparent side. This lets you see what your little man is eating. It is also recyclable, making it eco-friendly. Plus, it is free of chemicals and made from harmless materials. No doubt, more and more mothers are falling in love with this product because of these benefits and more. As a result, it has snagged a spot on our list. Without mincing words, it is a must-buy.
How to Use Reusable Baby Food Pouches
Using a bowl is linked to waste. In fact, some brands of reusable baby food pouches pack their products with spoons for this purpose. To keep his food cold all day when you are on that all-important journey, ensure it frozen before leaving home. You can also add ice cubes to the food as you are about to go out. The ice will keep everything cold and allow your child to enjoy chilled homemade food. However, this is meant for foods that do not need to be warmed. The type of food to fill your reusable container depends on what you want to feed him/her and his/her age. Besides, you may want to dispose of your reusable meal holder when your little man starts eating more solid food. You do not need to do that, as most of them are recyclable. We will briefly dissect how to use these kiddies’ meal holders in a moment.
- Refilling: Now that you have prepared his food, how do you refill? To refill this container, simply open the zipper (which is either located at a side or the bottom of the pouch). When you have done that, you have a wide opening that lets you fill the food with no mess. When you are through doing this, close the zipper back again and you are good to go!
- Feeding your little one: When it is time to feed him, open the lid of the container through which he sucks the food. The spout is always soft, so you do not have to worry that it may harm him. If he is old enough to self-feed, you are safe to leave him with the meal container. You have absolutely nothing to worry about. However, if he/she is too young to handle the container, it is ideal that you feed him. In a case where you want to spoon-feed your child, you can use a spoon together with it. You may probably be wondering how you go about it. Well, not to worry because it is pretty easy. When you have refilled the meal in it, open the spout and squeeze the food in it onto a spoon. With this, you can feed your little one with a spoon.
- Storage: One of the main purposes of buying a reusable container for your little one is to preserve the content – often in the freezer. As said earlier, this is necessary if you are a busy mom and want to prepare his food ahead of time. The best way to do this is to fill the food in the refillable containers and toss them in the freezer. This is the reason we recommend freezer-safe containers. So, when it is time to feed your newborn, you can easily go to your freezer to get it. This saves you the need to start running around to prepare his food when the little one is hungry.
- Washing: Without a doubt, washing these bag-like food holders is one of the challenges you have to deal with. However, times have changed — thanks to continuous improvement. The brands make these accessories have paid attention to the challenges that moms and caregivers go through every day. As a result, they came up with an excellent innovation — wide openings. Today, most of these reusable food pouches on the market come with wide openings, which come in the form of zippers. When you unzip it, it opens wide for you to easily access the inside. By and large, there are two ways you can wash most of them: hand-wash or dishwasher. Whichever way you choose, open the zipper and turn the container inside out. This lets water flow in and out freely, open the spout too. When you are done washing it, it is advised to rinse it with warm water. Afterward, leave it to dry.
Frequently Asked Questions
At this point, we will quickly look at some common questions that would-be users want to know their answers to.
Any mom or caregiver can use these pouches. Even when your baby is not yet old enough to use it on her own, you can squeeze the food in the container onto a baby spoon to feed your little kid. This is more convenient and mess-free than using a bowl.
Follow these simple steps to clean them:
- Open it and remove the cap
- Run some water into it, and shake well thoroughly. Afterward, turn it upside down to empty the liquid content
- Using a bottlebrush, wash the container in soapy water. Warm water is preferable.
- Wash the zip, cap, and spout with the bottle brush.
The ingredients used in preparing the baby’s meal determine how long it stays after opening. If your food is prepared from poultry products like eggs or fish, they can only last for 24 hours. However, if the food is prepared with pure fruits and vegetables, it can last for 48 to 72 hours. Then again, pediatricians recommend that you ensure he finishes an open pouch within 24 hours.
Yes, they may form mold if you do not take the time to clean them properly. In order that you do not feed your little one with mold-contaminated food, always store food-filled holders in the freezer. If the food requires that you warm it, it is recommended that you microwaving it.
Storing a baby meal in a freezer is necessary to prevent bacterial growth. When you leave your baby food at room temperature, bacteria find their way into it.
Wrapping up, it has been an interesting journey! You see, what we must establish here is that reusable baby food pouches are a must-have for nursing mothers looking to keep their newborns healthy. Not only will they save time, but they are also economical. If you have been using disposable pouches, it is time to join the 21st-century mothers who wish nothing but the best for their kids.
Perhaps you have been using a bowl to feed your little man before now; we believe you now have enough reasons to let your baby self-feed — thanks to these innovative containers. In this guide, we have given you a list of the best baby food containers. On your part, you just have to make a choice. Whichever one you choose among our list is the right choice. You should choose based on the criteria we mentioned earlier.
Do not forget the factors to consider when choosing the best reusable pouch for babies — they should serve as your guide. Because you will not want to feed your child with harmful chemicals, our list does not contain a pouch made from any unhealthy materials. Since the size of the feeding accessory you are choosing also matters, our list features a variety of sizes, ensuring that the make the most out of these products.
This guide has just 5 products, but we can assure you that they are some of the best you can get out there. Lastly, if there are any of your questions we did not answer in this guide; do to ask in the comment box. Our team is always available to reply to them. Get your reusable baby food accessory now!