Best Baby Spoons for Self Feeding
Children are messy eaters, especially after they have been weaned and are still learning how to self-feed. This is one of the challenges that parents and caregivers have to face multiple times a day just to get their little ones to eat something. Their motor skill development is still underway, and it is not wise not to let them do it themselves, or it may affect their rate of growth.
Despite all of that, you can have your little one feed themself and start practicing their motor skills already as soon as they are of age. All you have to do is invest in one of the best baby spoons for self feeding. These baby spoons are unlike the regular ones out there. They have depth, nice and functional shapes, are baby-proof, and other specific features that are compatible with babies.
There are a lot of companies that produce different brands of this product, and that leaves you with the question of which particular one to buy. In this piece, we will bring to you the top 5 brands to look out for when shopping.
How Did We Pick the Best Baby Spoons for Self Feeding?
The main aim of our articles is to make the buying process for our customers as simple, comfortable and effective as possible.
Every review we create is the result of an intricate study of the market, and customer feedback analysis. You’ll always get an honest final verdict. Only after endless hours of research, and once we’re satisfied that we’ve found the best products, do we then add them to our review list for your consideration.
We hope that you enjoy your purchase. If you found this article useful — please share it with your friends. Follow us on social media to stay up to date with more of the best online product reviews.
Why It is Better?
- Why You Need Baby Spoons for Self-Feeding
- How to Pick Right Baby Spoons for Self-Feeding
- Top 5 Best Baby Spoons for Self Feeding
- 1. GRABEASE First Self Feed Baby Utensils with a Togo Pouch – Anti-Choke
- 2. Olababy 100% Silicone Soft-Tip Training Spoon for Baby Led Weaning 2pack
- 3. Bumkins Silicone Chewtensils, Baby Fork and Spoon Set
- 4. Babyware by eZtotZ Made in USA First Self Feeding Spoon Fork Utensil Set
- 5. 4 Pack Baby Spoons Kirecoo Soft-Tip First Stage Silicone Self Feeding Training Spoons
- Frequently Asked Questions
Why You Need Baby Spoons for Self-Feeding
It is very natural for children to want to feed themselves as they get older. They seek a little bit of independence and can easily learn whatever you put them through as a way of surviving and gaining this natural freedom. This is why caregivers and parents introduce their little ones to these self feeding spoons for babies in hopes that they would not only help them develop the ability to feed themselves, but also help them with the necessary growth and development expected of their age.
So, why do you need to get baby spoons for your little ones’ self-feeding?
It is natural: There are different human developmental stages in life, a lot of which has to do with the desire to break away and attain some level of independence. Wanting to handle the spoon and help themselves to their foods is one of the earliest displays of such independence by babies.
This is a natural stage that cannot be avoided. So no matter how much you love and adore your baby, you are going to have to let go of the spoon at some point and let them take responsibility for feeding themselves for the most part. Note that this requires a lot of practice to get it right, so you are going to have to deal with a lot of mess after the meals.
A great way of developing their motor skills: By letting your little one maneuver his way around his dinner plate, you are giving him the chance to develop muscle strength and coordination. This helps him to tap into his fine motor skills (the ability to make movements with the hand and wrist muscles), which would eventually pay off in school related tasks like writing, drawing, and painting. It also contributes to sporting abilities and even dancing, and as a matter of fact, it helps your baby to grow into a whole, healthy, and confident person.
It is strange to think that investing in one of the best baby spoons for self feeding can help you and your little one this much, but that is the fact. According to Jaeah Chung, M.D., assistant professor of clinical pediatrics at Stony Brook Children’s Hospital in Stony Brook, New York, “A child being able to feed himself is an important aspect to his personal and social development.”
Helps with weaning your little ones: To a lot of mothers, weaning their babies off of breast milk is such a relief. It means that the baby is growing and the mother can get a little more time to herself. Introducing your little ones to baby spoons is one of the ways to ensure a smooth transition from breastfeeding to self-feeding.
It may take quite some time for your kid to get used to the new situation, but he will eventually, as long as you gradually let him feed himself more than he has to breastfeed.
How to Pick Right Baby Spoons for Self-Feeding
Being cautious when shopping for baby spoons would help you get just the right product for your little one. There are a lot of great products on the market, but not all of them are great for your little one. That is not all, there are a lot of substandard ones too that you must stay clear of for you and your baby’s good. Here are some tips on how to sift through these multitudes of products to get the perfect one.
- Materials: One of the first things to look out for is how safe the material of the product is. Make sure it is a food food-grade material that is FDA approved. This means that they are free of toxins and harmful chemicals like BPA, phthalates, lead, vinyl chloride, ethylene dichloride, and so on. Products that have harmful toxins in them can leach into your baby’s meal, leading to a host of health complications including childhood asthma, metabolic disease, diabetes, cardiovascular disease, and so on.
- Safety: A baby self feed spoon that is unsafe is usually rough and may cause lacerations in your baby’s mouth. Make sure that the finishing is very smooth and soft as well, mostly especially those of them made of baby food food-grade plastic material. Metals are not such a great idea, especially for those of them that are under the age of two.
- Size: This is an important factor. A baby’s cutlery may look too small in your eyes, but anything more than that can be a problem for you and your little one. It has to be small enough to fit into your baby’s small and delicate mouth comfortably, but not too small.
- Popular brands: Patronizing popular brands may not be your thing considering that a lot of them may be too costly. But just before you jump into conclusion, take some time out to take a look at them and see what they are offering. The thing about these popular brands is that most of them have been around for a long time building and growing their business to suit their customer base. If they are so popular, then they must be doing something right. Some of the most popular brands we highly recommend include Olababy, Grabease, and Bumkins.
- Ease of use and cleaning: Honestly, taking care of a baby is a handful most of the time, and the least you can do for yourself is invest in cutleries cutlery that would not make it any more complicated. Ease of cleaning is also important, and you would want to get a product that is dishwasher safe.
- Choking hazard: To avoid posing the risk of choking, it is better to stay away from products that have small removable parts. Also, if your little one is teething, do not get the very soft ones for her or she may bite off and swallow part of it, which is dangerous.
Top 5 Best Baby Spoons for Self Feeding
If you are looking to find something to help your little one to develop proper table manners or make the most out of their mealtimes, then a look through our collection of the best baby spoons for self-feeding might be all you will ever need to find the right product.
Before we get right to the list, it is necessary to mention that you will need more than just the right spoon to help with a satisfying and effective mealtime. You need a proper dining set and setup, an interesting meal, and the right approach. It may be challenging to have everything in check all the time, but a non-functional spoon should be the least of your problems.
1. GRABEASE First Self Feed Baby Utensils with a Togo Pouch – Anti-Choke Review
Ease of Use
We Don’t Like
According to the manufacturers, this product is ideal for babies that are 6 months old and above and is one of the safest ways to get a baby to start self-feeding. It was originally designed by a mother of three kids on the quest to find the best self feeding spoon and fork suitable for babies (as well as other products).
It is available in different colors like white, pink, teal, green, orange, and gray. So, you can pick whichever color you prefer to suit your little one’s style. The handle is short and stocky in a manner that fits perfectly well into little hands without the chance of dropping easily. There is also a choke-free protective barrier to ensure that your baby does not choke while eating, which is quite innovative, making the product safe for children. As matter of fact, the Grabease self-feed baby utensil has been tested under the highest US safety regulations and found to be safe for babies.
2. Olababy 100% Silicone Soft-Tip Training Spoon for Baby Led Weaning 2pack Review
Ease of Use
We Don’t Like
This Olababy product is the best self feeding spoon on our list for a number of great reasons. First, it has a design that is both uniquely appealing and functional. It looks like a new plant that is just sprouted that just made its way out of the soil. Plus, it is green in color, which makes it all the more similar to a plant in appearance.
The base of this product is flat and can stand upright, which is more hygienic and healthier than placing it flat on a surface. Interestingly, this product is flexible and soft all the way through, making it less likely to hurt your baby’s tender gums. This product is free of BPA and other toxins by using high-quality food-grade silicone material as a raw product. This product is also easy to maintain and is dishwasher safe. The price is a little bit on the high side, but it is worth it for a lot of customers who have tried and found this cutlery to be worth that much.
3. Bumkins Silicone Chewtensils, Baby Fork and Spoon Set Review
Ease of Use
We Don’t Like
This is a great product intended for the stage one of baby-led weaning, and it comes at such a great price. Each set contains a spoon and fork in a variety of design and styles, which gives you the option to choose according to your preference. It also comes in two difference sizes: the smaller one for babies from the age of 6 months and above while the bigger one is for babies who are at least eighteen months and above. The materials are safe from BPA and other harmful toxins and they are dishwasher safe.
The food-grade silicone and metal materials are functional and easy to clean. You can wash them with a dishwasher or by hand. The variety of attractive designs and styles makes them stand out more.
4. Babyware by eZtotZ Made in USA First Self Feeding Spoon Fork Utensil Set Review
Ease of Use
We Don’t Like
Aside from being functional, the most obvious thing about this product is how they are available in different colors. With these self feeding spoons for babies, you can choose any color of your preference, which is great for style and appearance. It comes in a pack that contains a spoon and fork made with dishwasher-safe plastic materials that are also BPA and toxin-free.
The design is such a basic and yet functional one with an ergonomic handle specially made to suit a baby’s grip and not fall off easily. The cutlery is not long at all, so you do not have to bother about dealing with excesses like that. It is durable and baby-proof smooth to avoid causing any mouth lacerations, which makes it safe for your little ones. Speaking of safety, these cutleries come with choker barriers to prevent babies from accidentally choking themselves. On the downside, some customers think the price is a bit on the high side, but that is probably because it is as functional as it can be.
5. 4 Pack Baby Spoons Kirecoo Soft-Tip First Stage Silicone Self Feeding Training Spoons Review
Ease of Use
We Don’t Like
The size of this product is great. It is small with suitable depth to hold enough food without presenting the risk of choking. It is one of the best baby spoons for self feeding that help babies to eat their foods bit by bit as they learn to feed themselves and ultimately improve their motor skills. You do not have to worry about the safety of this product because it is made with verified food-grade silicone materials that are toxin-free, hypoallergenic, and stain-resistant. A wash with a dishwasher is good to get it cleaned and sanitized.
The scoop of this product is also extra soft in a way that is friendly to your little one’s gums and overall it is impressive in appearance.The two-piece storage case is another added bonus to this product. It keeps it safe from germs all the time. The spoon is so smooth that they get slippery with purees, which is a bit frustrating. It also tends to get stained after a while.
Frequently Asked Questions
Mealtime with your little kids is always an adventure. The more you spend time with them, the more you learn and the more curious you are about some issues. Here are some FAQs that may help you address the curiosities.
Experts suggest waiting till your baby is, at least, 12 months old, before introducing him to self-feeding. This is the period when a child can comfortably sit up confidently on her own. At about 8 months old is the time to let them try finger feeding (which is more like playing with their food, but it is okay). This would strengthens their thumbs and index fingers, and give them a smooth transition to using cutleries as from 12 months and above.
Always make sure you place the cutleries in the dishwasher cutlery basket to avoid getting lost in the machine while washing them. Note that some of these products made of plastic may stain after a while. To get the stain out, you can use bleach, baking soda, white vinegar, rubbing alcohol, or salt in warm water. It is also important to make sure that the products are dishwasher safe before tossing them into the machine.
Nope. The safety instructions state not to sterilize these items. Also note that you should not microwave or boil them, either.
Some products are designed to keep the scoop or prongs from resting on any surface no matter how you put them down. However, some others do not have such design and extra care should be taken not to rest it on the table, especially during meal times.
So far, this piece should have all the necessary information to help you get the right baby self feed spoon for your little one. The highlights of it are that it should be functional enough to do the basic thing, which is to feed with. It should be attractive and colorful enough to gain the attention of babies, soft enough not to hurt the baby’s mouth, and appropriately sized for a little baby’s hands and mouth.
In your best interest, you should do your own research to find out what product is most suitable for your little one. You can get help from your doctor or family and friends who are experienced in that area. Aside from helping your baby feed, these spoons are a great way of building their motor skills like the ability to move in a precise manner which, in more ways than one, helps with the total wellbeing of your child.