Are you one of those parents or caregivers that think of glass bottles for babies as old-fashioned and inconvenient? Then, you better think again. They are making a comeback these days, and people are loving every bit of it for a number of reasons. One of these is the fact that its safety is guaranteed. With glass materials, you do not have to worry about toxic chemicals and BPA leaching into your baby’s food.
You may have come across some products whose manufacturers claim are free of all sorts of toxins, but you are not entirely sure this is the case. If you have good reason to trust such a product, feel free to use it for your little one. But if you have any doubts about some products, then these glass bottles will come to the rescue. To create this content, we have conducted some extensive research on the topic in general and especially on the products we have reviewed. Note, these are not paid reviews; they are our honest opinion based on our findings and experience.
How Did We Pick the Best Glass Baby Bottles?
The main aim of our articles is to make the buying process for our readers as simple, comfortable and effective as possible.
Every review we create is the result of an intricate study of the market, and customer feedback analysis. You’ll always get an honest final verdict. Only after endless hours of research, and once we’re satisfied that we’ve found the best products, do we then add them to our review list for your consideration.
We hope that you enjoy your purchase. If you found this article useful — please share it with your friends. Follow us on social media to stay up to date with more of the best online product reviews.
Why It is Better?
- Why Do You Need Glass Baby Bottles?
- How to Pick the Right Glass Baby Bottle
- Top 5 Best Glass Baby Bottles
- 1. Philips Avent Natural Glass Baby Bottle
- 2. Lifefactory 4-Ounce BPA-Free Glass Baby Bottle with Protective Silicone Sleeve and Stage 1 Nipple
- 3. Dr. Brown’s Natural Flow Options+ Narrow Glass Baby Bottles
- 4. Evenflo Feeding Glass Premium Proflo Vented Plus Bottles for Baby
- 5. Chicco NaturalFit Glass Baby Bottle
- Disadvantages of Glass Baby Bottles
- Glass vs Plastic Baby Bottles
- Frequently Asked Questions
Why Do You Need Glass Baby Bottles?
Before we go ahead with our reviews, let us take a proper look at what glass baby bottles are all about and why we encourage you to try them out. This product is simply a special container made of glass with a nipple for drinking directly from it. It is usually used for feeding babies. It can also be referred to as a nursing or feeding bottle.
According to history, there is some evidence showing that these bottles date back to ancient times. With time and development, they were almost replaced by plastic, steel, and silicone, but these materials are not as safe as their glass counterpart. Some of the reasons why glass may be the best material for feeding bottles compared to other materials include the following.
- No toxins: This is probably the most obvious reason why a lot of people prefer to use glass as opposed to other materials. The composition of glass is such that it contains no harmful chemicals like phthalates, which cause hormonal and reproductive malfunctions; PVC, which is linked to cancer; BPA and BPS, which are known to cause hormonal disruptions including early puberty, breast cancer, and infertility.
- Can withstand high temperatures: Most plastic bottles cannot be sanitized with the use of heat because they may melt. This is not the case with glass products. They can withstand high temperatures, which means you are free to sanitize them using hot water. You can also heat them in the microwave without any worries.
- Easier to clean and maintain: The finishing surface is usually very smooth and sleek. This makes it quite easy to clean. There is less likelihood of developing any scratch, and as such, it does not retain food particles in hard to reach areas. It does not stain either.
- Odorless: Due to the chemical composition of glass, it cannot retain odor from foods or hold flavors. It ensures the purity of the contents at all times and washes completely clean, leaving no residues in the form of odor or taste.
- Durable: Considering that it is made of high-quality material, the best glass baby bottles usually outlast other types. You may need to apply a little bit of caution so that it does not break.
- Environmentally friendly: Glass is recyclable and does not have any chemicals in it. For this reason, glass bottles are considered eco-friendly, unlike plastic materials that are highly incompatible with the environment.
How to Pick the Right Glass Baby Bottle
With a lot of these products on the market, it may be challenging to make the right decision. This is especially the case when it is your first time purchasing such products. But you do not have to worry because we have your back. After careful scrutiny, we developed the following list of what you should be on the lookout for if you really want to get the best glass baby bottles for your little one.
- Size: Basically, you will find that many bottles are small and can hold about 4 ounces. There are also larger ones with a capacity of about 8 ounces. The small ones are suitable for smaller babies, but they quickly grow out of this size after their first month. If you are looking to save some money, we highly recommend skipping the 4-ounce bottles and going for the 8-ounce ones. This way, they can last up until it is time to introduce your little one to self-feeding solid food.
- Compatibility: It is not enough to buy a bottle without some extras especially if you are a busy person. You are going to need at least a breast pump to help you get your breast milk out and into the container easily. To this end, we advise that you purchase accessories that are the same brand as the bottle. This way, you are sure of their compatibility.
- Easy to clean: Make sure the product you wish to invest in is easy to clean. This is very important because the immune systems of little babies are not fully developed, making them more vulnerable to any harmful substance. These can collect in feeding bottles if they are not carefully cleaned. Always go for a glass bottle for babies that is dishwasher safe, but do not forget to get a quality bottle brush for a more intensive hand washing.
- Design: You may want to go for a fancy-looking product, which is not a bad thing. Just make sure it is functional enough for feeding your baby. There are three common shape designs on the market. There are the standard ones; they are usually tall, straight, and the easiest to clean. There are the wide ones designed to mimic a breast. And there are the angled ones that are bent at the neck to prevent your baby from swallowing air. These three designs are functional enough.
- Durability: As long as you handle your glass bottles appropriately, they will last for a really long time. Sometimes, your best efforts may not be enough to keep the bottle from breaking. In that case, we suggest purchasing bottles that have silicone sleeves or some other form of break-proof protection.
- Material: You already know that this article is all about nursing bottles made of glass materials, but what about the nipple? Of course, it is not made of glass. It is made of some other stuff. So, which material is best for nipples? Generally, bottle nipples are made from either latex or silicone. Both of these are great options. If you are looking for something softer and more flexible, then latex is the way to go. But you also have to understand that it is not as durable as silicone, and your baby may be allergic to it. Silicone, on the other hand, is not as soft or flexible, but it is durable.
- Brands: It may be overwhelming having to pick one or two out of a bunch of bottles made by different manufacturers that come on strong in their marketing and all claim to have the best of products. You can save yourself the stress by starting with the most popular brands. We recommend LifeFactory, Evenflo, Philips, and Chicco. These brands have been around for quite a while, and many of their customers sing their praises. They must be doing something right.
Top 5 Best Glass Baby Bottles
Finally, we bring to you reviews of the best glass baby bottles on the market. After in-depth study and research, we have developed our honest opinion of these recommendable products.
1. Philips Avent Natural Glass Baby Bottle Review
Easy to clean
We Don’t Like
The Philips brand has been around for so long and has maintained a great reputation as one of the best especially in baby products. Their glass bottle is incredibly functional, easy to use, and easy to maintain.
The nipples are designed to mimic the natural form of a breast and are made from silicone, which is a safe food-grade material for babies. The body of the product is ergonomically shaped and is designed for easy handling all the time. This is particularly important because you do not want to have the bottle falling out of your hand by mistake and most likely breaking.
Another interesting feature of this item that is worth mentioning is the air flex vent technology. This is simply a set of anti-colic valves designed to release air back into the bottle, which ensures your baby does not develop discomfort from swallowing air. This item is cost-effective, heat resistant, compatible with extras (even those of different brands in some cases), and easy to maintain.
2. Lifefactory 4-Ounce BPA-Free Glass Baby Bottle with Protective Silicone Sleeve and Stage 1 Nipple Review
Ease to clean
We Don’t Like
The first thing you will notice about this bottle is the colorful silicone sleeve around it. Aside from giving it a certain aesthetic appeal, it also makes it easy to hold the bottle with a firm grip. Additionally, it helps to protect the bottle from cracking or breaking should it slip and fall on a hard surface.
It comes in two different volume capacities. The four-ounce container is great for newborns, and the six-ounce size is ideal for bigger babies. It is necessary to state here that this product may not be such a great fit for you if your baby is a healthy eater or just older. In this case, you may want to go for other brands that have 8-ounce baby bottles.
You can conveniently wash this bottle in a dishwasher or heat it up in a microwave without any worries. The nipples are made of a silicone material, which is free of toxins and more durable than other materials. You have the liberty to choose whichever color suits your style because it comes in 14 different attractive colors.
3. Dr. Brown’s Natural Flow Options+ Narrow Glass Baby Bottles Review
Easy to clean
We Don’t Like
With this product, you get the basic, tall, slim-body design that has been effective and around since time immemorial. The material is somewhat lightweight and very reliable as well. One thing you will notice from using this is that the manufacturers intend to make this product as simple and as convenient as possible.
There is a special anti-colic piece inside of it to help reduce the possibility of your baby swallowing air while feeding. It decreases gas, spit-up, and burping. Also, the nipple is made from soft silicone, which is a verified food-grade material for baby products, and the flow rate is quite close to being natural.
Like most other products of the same material, this product will last for a really long time as long as you use it properly. For extra protection, you may want to invest in a sleeve to keep it from breaking should it fall on a hard surface.
4. Evenflo Feeding Glass Premium Proflo Vented Plus Bottles for Baby Review
Easy to clean
We Don’t Like
Each set of this product comes with six bottles in it! This is so much value for the cost. This makes it very convenient that you can have them all filled and ready to be used when necessary. Aside from being such an economy pack, this product is also functional and very efficient for feeding your little one.
You can choose to order the four-ounce bottles for your newborn, or you can go for the eight-ounce bottles for babies who are over a month old. The shape of the container is ergonomic, making it easy to hold while feeding. It is lightweight as well and notably compatible with other extras you may want to use together with it.
Unlike many other brands, Evenflo developed the patented Proflo venting technology aimed at keeping your little one from swallowing air while feeding. When used properly, you will definitely enjoy this item for a long time to come. To ensure the durability of the product, you may want to get a sleeve to hold it in for protection.
5. Chicco NaturalFit Glass Baby Bottle Review
Easy to clean
We Don’t Like
There are a lot of great anti-colic designs out there on the market, but this one stands out from the rest. The nipple can be used either straight up or in an angled position to reduce the possibility of your little one swallowing air while feeding. It comes with a bonus silicone sleeve for extra grip and protection, and the nipple is made of silicone as well for ideal latching on, durability, and safety.
Convenience is another point that has been properly factored in to the making of this product. The capacity of the bottle is great, and it is ergonomically shaped for easy handling. Plus, it is easy to wash and maintain. The washing instructions are very simple. All you have to do is take it apart into its different parts and put them in a dishwasher to clean them out.
A lot of customer reviews show that this product is great for moms who are trying to transition from breast milk to bottles. The makers of this product have done a great job to make sure it mimics the natural look and feel of the breast, which is a plus.
Disadvantages of Glass Baby Bottles
Since we are intent on being honest with you, we might as well tell you of the disadvantages of using a baby bottle made of glass. You may have purchased the best of them. It could be perfect for you and your little one, but you still need to be on the lookout for the following cons.
- Cost: The first point is that they are costlier than the regular ones made of other materials like plastic and steel. This is because glass materials are more expensive, and the production process is more tedious.
- Weight: Manufacturers are putting in extra effort in a bid to develop glass bottles that are lightweight, and so far, they have done well. But still, glass materials are generally heavier than plastic and other materials out there.
- Accessibility: Well, it is a known fact that plastics are more common than glass. You may have to put in extra effort and time to find a glass bottle, or you can resort to buying from the internet. Some people may not like the idea of buying online because they are not sure of what they are purchasing even if the label says the product is great. This is why we have this review article that can help you.
- Durability: It is understandable if you choose to question the durability of glass baby feeding bottles. They are made of glass, and glass can break easily if you do not handle it with care. Even if you have the advantage of a silicone sleeve, you still need to be extra careful to ensure they do not break.
- Care: This material is delicate, and unlike what you may assume, it can break while you are washing, drying, or putting the bottles away. So, you have to handle them delicately with extra effort to secure them at all times, which is not something everyone can afford.
- Temperature: Glass materials can handle temperatures fairly well, but you have to be careful and gradually move from a cold state to a hot state and vice versa.
So, considering these cons, do you think you want a glass bottle? If so, please go ahead and get some of them for yourself by all means. There is no telling what is in the plastic bottles we see everywhere these days. Many of them claim to be free of toxins, but how sure are you about this?
Glass vs Plastic Baby Bottles
Let us take a look at glass and plastic baby bottles side by side to see how they compare to each other. What is it about plastic bottles that makes them so common? Yes, they are more common than any other baby bottle materials put together. Why would anyone want to dump plastic and switch to using glass baby feeding bottles?
- Weight: Glass is naturally heavier than plastics, which is why a lot of parents may prefer to go for plastic bottles because they are completely lightweight. However, a lot of manufacturers have been able to produce lightweight glass bottles that are not necessarily as heavy as a typical glass bottle even though they are not as light as plastics.
- Price: When it comes to price, plastics are cheaper. This is because the process of manufacturing them and the raw materials used in the process are not as costly as those of glass bottles. Parents and caregivers that are on a budget may want to go for the plastic ones as long as they are high-quality and BPA-free products.
- Durability: Many tend to believe that plastic bottles are more durable than glass bottles. This is not entirely true. If you have a plastic baby bottle, it may not crack or break, but more often than not, plastic bottles tend to become discolored after a while. They also get scratches here and there and retain awful odors, which would force you to throw them out. But the case is entirely different when it comes to glass bottles. If you use them very carefully, you are less likely to experience any issues with them. This means a glass bottle stays in great condition as long as you continue to be careful with it, and this is nothing but durability. Just to be on the safe side, you are going to want to get a silicone sleeve for your glass bottle. This will help protect them from breaking should they fall on a hard surface.
- Ease of cleaning: When it comes to glass bottles, the ease of cleaning them is incomparable to plastic ones. Particles and colors wash out easily and completely, unlike in the case of some plastic bottles that get discolored over time. Cleaning a glass product properly also ensures it does not develop any odor, which is more than can be said for plastics.
- Chemicals and toxins: This is probably the most obvious reason a lot of caregivers and parents prefer to use glass baby bottles. They do not contain any form of toxins in them and are BPA-free. There are a lot of BPA- and toxin-free plastics out on the market, but how can you be sure that they do not contain some chemicals that could leach into your baby’s drink?
- Handling temperatures: The package might say you can, but you really should not be heating your plastic bottles in a microwave or even dishwashing them. An increase in temperature may raise the risk of chemical exposure, premature wearing of the bottle, and other shortcomings. Glass bottles, on the other hand, handle heat better as long as you introduce it gradually. They do not contain harmful substances in them and, as such, are completely safe.
- Separation: If you pump your milk for your little one, then you might have noticed that the fat separates and accumulates at the top when stored in a plastic bottle, and this can be frustrating. You can avoid that by getting a glass bottle for baby; it will not cause any separations of the contents even after storing milk in it for a while.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are a few of the most frequently asked questions on this topic. We did our best to answer them comprehensively to give you a better understanding of how to use these products.
You may want to go through the manufacturer’s care instructions on the package of the product to be sure, but typically, most glass bottles are safe to be cleaned with a dishwasher or go into the microwave.
You may want to get a special bottle steamer designed to protect a glass bottle while being microwaved. Also, if you must heat up your baby food in a microwave, be sure to set it aside after heating to reduce the possibility of heat spots scalding your little one.
The short answer is no. There are just a few brands that make glass bottles that are safe for freezing, but most others do not. The liquid contents of the bottle will most likely expand when frozen, and this may cause some cracks in the bottle. If you must freeze the milk, we recommend using milk storage bags.
When taken care of by washing and drying properly after each use, odors are less likely to develop. If you store food in them for a while, they may retain some odor, but this is only for a short period. To remove the odor, wash the bottle. Then, put some white vinegar in it. Cover it, and shake it. Next, let it sit overnight. Rinse it out with warm water in the morning, and let it dry.
You can pretty much move around with your glass baby bottles, but if you are traveling by air, you may want to call your airline to find out if it is allowed. Some airlines may not mind, but not as much can be said for others.
Finding the perfect glass bottles for your baby is tougher than it seems. For one, they are not easily available in the local shops. Plus, they are costlier. But for the sake of your baby’s health, we recommend that you do what it takes to find a proper product for your child. You can save yourself the stress and go ahead and pick one of the products on our list. They all have been tested and can be trusted.
As delicate as they may be, their advantages make them worth it. They do not expose your baby to any form of chemical risks, and they are great for the planet as well. Since they are delicate, it may be a great way to teach your babies how to be careful with things and not just throw things around without being careful.