Best Humidifier for Baby
Having a baby is one of the greatest gifts in the world. Most mothers (and fathers) feel much more complete after the birth of their child. Parents always want to give their children the best and keep them as healthy and nourished as possible. It’s true that the world we live in today is a lot harder than it was a few decades ago, and it’s becoming harder and harder to keep a baby comfortable with increasing heat, more polluted air quality and insects flying almost everywhere.
Since sleep is one of the most crucial elements in a baby’s growth and development, it is important to place him or her in a sleepy environment. This can be made possible through the use of humidifiers. This article looks at the best humidifier to use for baby care and provides a list of options based on your priorities.
What is a humidifier? A humidifier is a device that raises the humidity level in an enclosed space. It is especially useful during dry seasons. Its ability to produce mist increases comfort, which is why it is used not only in private homes or offices, but also in hospitals and other medical facilities. Commercial types, on the other hand, are connected to the local heating, ventilation and air-conditioning (HVAC) system to easily diffuse the effect.
This device is also known for its health benefits. It can improve the condition of the skin by increasing its moisture content and preventing it from flaking or drying out. It can be a mood enhancer and a calming agent for anxious people. It can also help with sleep problems. All of these benefits will be discussed in the sections below.
How Did We Pick the Best Humidifier for Baby?
The main aim of our articles is to make the buying process for our customers as simple, comfortable and effective as possible.
Every review we create is the result of an intricate study of the market, and customer feedback analysis. You’ll always get an honest final verdict. Only after endless hours of research, and once we’re satisfied that we’ve found the best products, do we then add them to our review list for your consideration.
We hope that you enjoy your purchase. If you found this article useful — please share it with your friends. Follow us on social media to stay up to date with more of the best online product reviews.
Why It is Better?
- Benefits and Uses of Baby Humidifiers
- How to Choose the Best Baby Humidifier?
- Top 7 Best Baby Humidifiers
- 1. TaoTronics Cool Mist Humidifiers for Babies
- 2. TaoTronics Cool Mist Humidifier, 4L Ultrasonic Humidifiers
- 3. Pure Enrichment MistAire Ultrasonic Cool Mist Humidifier
- 4. LEVOIT Humidifiers for Bedroom, 4L Ultrasonic Cool Mist Humidifier
- 5. Crane Ultrasonic Cool Mist Humidifier
- 6. Mikikin Cool Mist Humidifier
- 7. Homech Quiet Ultrasonic Humidifier
- Are Baby Humidifiers Safe?
- Main Types of Baby Humidifiers
- Cool vs Warm Mist Humidifier for Babies
- Frequently Asked Questions
Benefits and Uses of Baby Humidifiers
Why would you need a humidifier for your house? If you have a child, let alone a newborn baby, at home, there are several reasons why you would need one (or two). First, babies are extremely sensitive. If you live in a tropical country or during the dry season, the temperature becomes uncomfortable and this can ruin your baby’s sleep. As sleep is extremely vital for their growth and development, improving the relative humidity in your home can really make a difference.
The second reason is that your baby is more vulnerable. With the bacteria and viruses in your home, you’ll want to filter them out with a humidifier. Finally, you want to calm your nerves and relax your senses. Motherhood can be stressful, especially for new mothers, and they also deserve a boost and relaxation to carry out their daily activities. Indeed, these devices have many uses and can really help maintain a person’s mental and physical well-being.
How to Choose the Best Baby Humidifier?
With a plethora of choices on the internet and in your local shops, how do you choose the right one? It depends on many factors. We’ll explain how each factor should influence your choice and hopefully help you make an informed decision.
- Age range: Your baby’s age can be a key factor in determining the type of humidifier to use. Newborns are extremely sensitive. So, although you may not be aware of any allergies or sensitivities, try not to use flavored appliances and opt for simpler, fragrance-free brands. You can choose Levoit because it is safe for babies and is certified for home use.
- Materials: Of course, you should also check the materials used. You often see packaging that says “BPA-free”. BPA actually stands for Bisphenol A, a chemical compound that is not very soluble in water. It is found in some plastic containers and, with continued use, it can be potentially harmful. For this reason, it is recommended to opt for clearly printed BPA-free packaging, such as TaoTronic or Levoit humidifiers. Again, if you have a sensitive newborn baby or a child who is allergic to fragrances, you don’t want to infuse your humidifier with added fragrances to avoid triggering allergic reactions.
- Health features: Adding fragrances through essential oils isn’t so bad, though. If no one in your family is allergic, you can really enjoy the benefits of the humidifier on your skin. It can soothe the skin and help fight wrinkles. It can also help you relax, so you can sleep better and reduce the anxiety that causes insomnia. Levoit’s and TaoTronic’s have a special place for essential oils. However, if you are not a fan of these oils, the mist from the humidifier alone can work on your skin just as well.
- Coverage area: Your space will be important in determining the best brand to get. If you have a lot of space, you may want to aim for brands that have wide coverage. The height of the product will affect its actual distribution. Mikikin and Homech humidifiers are suitable for large spaces, so you may choose these units if you have a large home.
- Noise: Since humidifiers are technically machines, they can make a little noise. However, some manufacturers have tried to reduce this problem by making them virtually silent. The lower the decibels, the quieter the humidifier.
- Maintenance & cleaning: If you’re with a newborn baby, you want to be as efficient as possible because you won’t always have time to do chores or run errands. You want to look for easy-to-clean marks to save you all the hassle. The Pure Enrichments humidifier, among other things, has a convenient sanitizing feature. Clean it once a week to maintain good air quality in your home. If humidity is high, you can turn your unit off to prevent mold growth.
- Popular brands: We love TaoTronics humidifiers, so we’ve included two in our list. If you’re brand conscious, we’ve included some great brands in our list. We evaluate them based on consumer ratings, which is one of the best ways to assess product performance.
- Automatic shutdown: Short circuits or overheating of electrical machines can be a real concern for many people. This is especially true if you have children at home. If you want to reduce the risk of fire, opt for machines with automatic shut-off. All brands on our list, including Crate’s humidifiers, are equipped with this feature. This means that they stop as soon as the water level becomes too low.
- Light & sound: Some people like to have more light when they sleep. Others hate night lights and prefer to sleep in the dark. If you prefer the latter, Pure Enrichments and Mikikin have a night mode function, so you won’t be disturbed by their LED lights when you sleep. They also have a silent machine, so you won’t be bothered by the buzzing of their lights when they are off.
Top 7 Best Baby Humidifiers
1. TaoTronics Cool Mist Humidifiers for Babies Review
Easy to use
We Don’t Like
If value is of the utmost importance to you, then you’d like TaoTronic’s cool mist humidifier for your baby. This TaoTronic variant is simply one of the best humidifier for baby in terms of value and features. Its operation is almost silent thanks to its clever air inlet design, which allows it to operate at only 32 dB, ensuring a good night’s sleep for your baby while feeding the air at the same time. Available in black and blue, it is equipped with an intelligent LED indicator that allows you to determine the relative humidity of the air in the area.
When there is no more water in its tank, the unit automatically shuts off, saving energy during downtime. The TT-AH026 is stylish and portable, and comes complete with humidifier, cleaning brush and user guide. The TT-AH026 is suitable for work environments with temperatures ranging from 5℃ to 45℃ or 41℉-113℉. It can increase a room’s relative humidity by 40-60%, making it a product well worth the investment.
2. TaoTronics Cool Mist Humidifier, 4L Ultrasonic Humidifiers Review
Easy to use
We Don’t Like
If you prefer a humidifier with lots of features, TaoTronic’s Cool Mist Humidifier may be the best baby humidifier for you. The TaoTronics humidifier can really improve the comfort of your home, not only for your baby, but also for other members of your family. It offers optimum comfort without the annoying machine noise, as it is incredibly quiet with less than 38 decibels of noise, so your newborn baby can sleep like a rock.
Thanks to its built-in LED display, you can easily know the relative humidity of an area and adjust it up to 60% accordingly. Its maximum humidity level is 270 to 330 ml/hour. This display can be switched off if you want the unit to be in dark mode. In addition to improving air humidity, it also filters out germs and unpleasant odors with its microporous cartridge filters, and these filters only need to be changed twice a year. It comes with a cleaning brush and a user’s guide.
3. Pure Enrichment MistAire Ultrasonic Cool Mist Humidifier Review
Easy to use
We Don’t Like
Pure Enrichment’s MistAire Ultrasonic Cool Mist Humidifier really gives you the best value for your money and is one of the best baby humidifiers available. The Pure Enrichment humidifier checks out all the brands in terms of design, functionality and price. With its 360-degree nozzle, you can direct the mist where it suits you, keeping your electronics, plants, pets and furniture safe from the mist. It is virtually silent with its 32dB machine sound.
Made with ultrasonic fog technology, it can run for 16 hours straight and use its 1.5 litre tank to keep your little one comfortable. If you don’t want your baby to be disturbed by its LED light, its night light will do the trick. It also turns itself off when the liquid level is low. It comes with an adapter, a user guide and a disc cleaning brush. It’s easy to clean, easy to use and economically priced. Step up to the next level of comfort with this baby-friendly humidifier.
4. LEVOIT Humidifiers for Bedroom, 4L Ultrasonic Cool Mist Humidifier Review
Easy to use
We Don’t Like
We agree with Amazon’s choice as Levoit’s Humidifier is also our choice as the best humidifier for baby use. Do you want your room to smell good and be comfortable? Well, Levoit’s humidifier should also be your choice for your baby’s small room. Thanks to its advanced ultrasonic technology, it provides an effective 5 micrometer mist, perfect for cooling the room temperature down to its desired level. You can also add fragrances and essential oils to its dedicated pad to get the aromatherapy you want in your home.
This is definitely a safety feature for babies. As it is incredibly quiet with only 30dB, you can have a quality sleep, just like your baby. In low mode, the unit can also work for up to 40 hours at a time, requiring less effort to recharge it. If you’re worried that it might dry out, it’s not necessary, as the humidifier automatically turns off when the water level is at its lowest. With its intuitive, easy-to-clean design, it’s easy to make your home comfortable.
5. Crane Ultrasonic Cool Mist Humidifier Review
Easy to use
We Don’t Like
If you like design and functionality, the Crane’s Ultrasonic Cool Mist humidifier could be on top of our list of the best baby humidifier. The Crane humidifier makes no compromises when it comes to functionality and design. This drop-shaped device can cover a 500 square foot room for 24 hours without the need to constantly replace the water. Its filter is made of an antimicrobial material that reduces 99.96% of microbes. So you can be sure that it emits a clean, fresh mist, free of mould, which cools the covered surface. It operates with less than 37 decibels of noise, which promotes quality sleep.
Purchased separately, you can also add a demineralization filter (HS-1932) for added protection and quality. Its lower fill tank is easily removable, allowing you to sanitize your tank whenever you want. Its 360-degree nozzle is adjustable, and it has a 3-speed setting that you can manipulate according to the speed you want. With the Crane humidifier, you can maintain a healthy, cool space and have more peace of mind.
6. Mikikin Cool Mist Humidifier Review
Easy to use
We Don’t Like
If you want your little one to be relaxed for longer, then Mikikin’s Cool Mist humidifier may be the right choice for you. The main reason why it is one of the best humidifier for kid and babies is its large capacity. A large capacity humidifier like Mikikin’s saves you from having to refill it every few hours. This unit has a 360 degree nozzle that covers a huge area for more than a day, 24 hours a day. Under the nozzle is an aromatherapy slot, allowing you to add an essential oil and give your room a natural scent and put you and your baby in the mood.
If you prefer a deep sleep in the dark, you can activate the night mode of the device and spend a quiet night thanks to its low-decibel operation. When the device runs out of water, it switches itself off, so you don’t have to turn it off. Its detachable top part has enough room to look at it without having to dismantle it completely. To take proper care of the appliance, do not pour essential oil into the water tank. In addition, cover the bottom with a towel when you decide to remove the water tank to prevent any leakage.
7. Homech Quiet Ultrasonic Humidifier Review
Easy to use
We Don’t Like
Top 7 on our list of best baby humidifier brands is the Homech Cold Mist Humidifier. Homech’s cool mist humidifier is one of the longest lasting humidifiers with only one fill. Not having to fill it for 60 hours is really convenient and efficient. It comes with a cleaning brush, a dust sponge and a user’s guide. With its 4-litre capacity, it can cover an area of 215 to 430 square feet. It is easy to handle, well-sealed and waterproof. With its large opening and quick-refill tank, replacement and maintenance are low.
It is manufactured using ultrasonic cold mist technology and is 24 inches high, which undoubtedly improves the air quality in your home. It is a therapeutic product for your skin, and it can help reduce your insomnia. Its silent installation of less than 30 decibels makes it really ideal for your child’s room. And because it has an automatic shut-off function, you can sleep much more peacefully knowing you won’t have to wake up in the middle of the night to turn it off. The unit’s fog rotates every 3 minutes and the fog guide tube is self-draining to prevent the formation of mold.
Are Baby Humidifiers Safe?
Of course, one of the biggest concerns is whether these devices are suitable for babies. Yes, the best baby humidifiers can be as safe as possible if you choose the right one and maintain the unit properly. You should look for brands of humidifiers that are ETL tested, FCC certified and BPA free, as they are guaranteed to be safe for babies.
You also want to choose devices with an automatic shut-off function when the water level in the reservoir becomes very low. This feature prevents overheating and eliminates the risk of fire. Be sure to clean your tank at least once a week to ensure that the airflow is free of contaminants. You should also not use the humidifier when the relative humidity of the air is high, as this will cause excess humidity and could lead to mold growth. A hygrometer will help you monitor the humidity in an area.
Main Types of Baby Humidifiers
Have you selected the best humidifier for baby from the list above? If it helps you decide, there are three main types of baby humidifiers. There is an evaporative model, a turbine model and an ultrasonic model. An evaporative humidifier has a fan to force air out through its water-absorbing, sponge-like cylinder.
One type of impeller has a rotating disc to disperse the mist and increase the relative humidity of a room. Finally, an ultrasonic model converts water into fog through vibrations. Because of this simple mechanism, they tend to be the quietest as well. That’s why the above list only includes ultrasonic brands as they are the most conducive to a relaxed environment for a baby.
You can also classify humidifiers into warm mist, cold mist, whole house and ultrasonic humidifiers. Warm mist humidifiers emit a heat-induced mist. They provide a cooling effect similar to that of the cold mist type, but the mechanism and structure of their devices differ and are explained in more detail in the next section.
Whole-house humidifiers are non-portable, wide-coverage humidifiers. They are often confused with those that are connected to the heating, ventilation and air-conditioning system, but they are stand-alone humidifiers. Its reservoir can hold about 5 gallons of water, so you can leave it running for a few days or more. It is recommended that you clean them weekly, changing the wick every quarter or often.
Cool vs Warm Mist Humidifier for Babies
The list we have provided includes brands that produce fresh mist. But what exactly is the difference between them? What is the most effective difference between cool vs warm mist humidifier for babies? As you may have guessed, the difference lies in the temperature of the mist they produce. Of course, the latter requires heating. This means that the water in its tank is boiled to produce steam. It also means that it can potentially burn a child’s sensitive skin if left unchecked.
This is why the hot mist type is generally not preferred for use by infants. It is potentially dangerous because of its heating mechanism or can cause discomfort to your child if the mist gets too close to his or her skin. However, it is best to use it in the winter to warm up a room. Therefore, if you want to keep the temperature warm during the cold seasons, you can use this type of device. It is also said to be effective at killing harmful microbes better thanks to its boiling mechanism.
However, both types increase the humidity of a space and can be just as useful. If you choose the warm mist humidifier, be sure to handle and position it carefully so that it is at a safe distance from your baby.
Frequently Asked Questions
We know that you may have some unanswered questions about humidifiers before you choose the one that’s right for you and your little one. Here are some of the questions and answers from our experts.
Yes, they are completely safe, especially if they are BPA-free and ETL-certified. An automatic shut-off feature will also add an extra layer of protection against overheating.
Once a week is fine. But if your location is naturally dusty, you can wash them more often if you feel the need. Just be careful not to soak them in water. In general, their circuits are well protected against water damage, but try not to soak the whole humidifier in water when you can.
No, you can’t put perfumes in a regular humidifier. Unless the humidifier has its own slot for pouring gasoline, this is not recommended. This is because they clog the nebulizer on the unit, making it difficult to produce mist.
Dry air wicks moisture away from the skin layer, making it dry, dull or flaky. Dry skin also accelerates the aging process. To keep skin hydrated, humidifiers better moisturize your skin on dry days.
Humidifiers improve the quality of the air in a space, so you don’t have to wake up from the heat. If you suffer from sleep apnea, the increase in relative humidity can eliminate the dry feeling on your nose, reducing your tendency to snore.
Humidifiers are a great invention and an excellent tool to improve the air quality in a room. By releasing mist into the hair, the relative humidity of the space increases, and the temperature becomes less dry and sticky. With additional fragrances, you can also transform a room to feel closer to nature or to be less tense.
With the increased comfort and improved feel, you can improve your mood and allow you to have a better quality of sleep. It is also scientifically recommended to help people with sleep apnea. Having a baby can be difficult, but with this device you can improve your baby’s nap times. If you’re a mom, you can even reduce wrinkles or rejuvenate your skin a little with its therapeutic mist.
However, finding the right type of product for your home can be difficult. You need to consider the space you have available, your budget, the possibility of infusing essential oils into your appliance, the type of materials used and the useful features of the product. There are portable humidifiers that can humidify an entire room; the larger ones with 4-litre tanks can humidify larger spaces.
If you’re concerned about your budget, you can already get good brands by spending just over $50. Quality brands don’t necessarily cost more. There are brands with slots for essential oils, allowing you to have a more fragrant space. If you want to make sure a brand is safe, pay attention to the “BPA-free” sign, and everything will be fine.
The list above shows brands that are made with quality materials and are suitable for babies. These products are also easy to clean, have an automatic shut-off device and are stylish. Some of them have a night mode (for those who prefer dark rooms at night) or a place for essential oils (for essence lovers). Whatever your preference, the list above should cover it. Buy one for your home today and enjoy more comfortable days.