As soon as a baby leaves the hospital and is brought to the home, she has to sleep in a place that is both safe and very comfortable. This is where a bassinet comes into play. So, what exactly is a bassinet? A bassinet is a little bed (also known as a cradle or a baby bed) that is designed for babies from the time they are born to about 6 months or when they begin moving. They can be used in the home and/or in transit. Furthermore, they provide babies with a lot of safety and comfort.
Are you expecting a baby or have just been with a little one and are looking to get a bassinet? If yes, you are on the right page. This article contains everything you need to know about the best baby bassinets; things to consider when buying a cradle, frequently asked questions about baby beds, etc. After going through it, you will learn more about the most sought-after products on the market. The good thing is, you wouldn’t have to look elsewhere for answers after reading this guide. Now, let’s unravel this well-researched piece together.
How Did We Pick the Best Baby Bassinets?
The main aim of our articles is to make the buying process for our customers as simple, comfortable and effective as possible.
Every review we create is the result of an intricate study of the market, and customer feedback analysis. You’ll always get an honest final verdict. Only after endless hours of research, and once we’re satisfied that we’ve found the best products, do we then add them to our review list for your consideration.
We hope that you enjoy your purchase. If you found this article useful — please share it with your friends. Follow us on social media to stay up to date with more of the best online product reviews.
Why It is Better?
- Why You Need Baby Bassinets?
- How to Pick the Right Baby Bassinet
- Top 7 Best Baby Bassinets
- 1. Delta Children Deluxe Sweet Beginnings Bedside Bassinet
- 2. Fisher-Price Soothing Motions Bassinet
- 3. SwaddleMe By Your Side Sleeper
- 4. Dream On Me Karley Bassinet
- 5. MiClassic All Mesh 2 in 1 Stationary & Rock Bassinet
- 6. Baby Delight Beside Me Dreamer Bassinet & Bedside Sleeper
- 7. Fisher-Price Rock with Me Bassinet
- Baby Bassinets Main Types
- Baby Bassinet vs Mini Crib vs Playcard
- Safety Recommendations for Using Baby Bassinet
- Frequently Asked Questions
Why You Need Baby Bassinets?
When babies are first conceived, they enjoy the safe haven their mother’s womb provides. This, however, as soon as they are born, they lose this safety.
There probably is no place as cozy as a mother’s womb. Nevertheless, you can offer your newborn some coziness by buying a baby bed. Newborns, as well as new mothers, have lots of needs and these needs will go a long way to determining the type of cradle you buy for your baby.
Are you expecting a new baby or have just been blessed with a baby and are not sure why you need a baby bassinet? Read on to find out why you need a cradle.
- Provide a safe haven for your baby: Not everyone is used to sleeping with a child in the same bed. There have been many cases of accidents because a mother was not used to being in the same bed with a newborn. These accidents can be avoided with the use of a cradle.
- Convenience: Once you have a newborn, you will need to do a lot of things you never used to. These activities include changing diapers and feeding your little one. Regardless of the time you may have to engage in any of these activities, doing so in a bassinet will make them very convenient. When you have your baby sleeping in a bassinet and need to change her, you simply need to reach out for the bassinet and do what you need to do. You do not have to leave your bed and walk across the room before being able to care for your infant.
- Provide a lot of comfort for your baby: Are you looking to have your little one to go to bed and also stay asleep through the night effortlessly? You can get this done by buying a bassinet. When your baby sleeps in the best baby bassinet, she is surely going to get all the warmth and comfort that she needs to sleep soundly and wake up happy. Bassinets are effective in helping babes fall and stay asleep very easily because they have the shape of a cocoon. Furthermore, when babes sleep in a cradle, they do not have to deal with any feeling of isolation.
- Protect your baby from the environment: Bassinets provide a lot of comfort for your child while they sleep. This, however, is not all that they do. They provide a lot of protection for your newborn. With your baby sleeping in a cradle you do not have to worry about them being affected by dust, direct sunlight, or pets.
- They do not consume so much space: If you have a very large living space, this might not mean much to you. However, if your living space is not so large, this benefit of cradles is one you will greatly appreciate. All things being equal, bassinets can be moved around easily and do not take up so much space.
- They provide a soothing environment: Bassinets provide a soothing environment for babies to sleep in. A lot of them come with vibrations, as well as soft music that helps babes sleep without struggling.
How to Pick the Right Baby Bassinet
There are lots of cradles on the market. Some are of very good quality. Others are not so good and might not provide you with good value for your money. This makes it important that you know how to choose the right cradle. Below are factors you should consider when selecting a baby bassinet:
- A hard mattress is great: Newborns are fragile and it might look like they should not have anything hard around them. This is one reason most parents only consider making use of soft materials in their baby’s cradle. This might seem logical. It, however, is not correct. When selecting a bassinet, you should go for one that has a hard and thin mattress. Doing this will go a long way in reducing the likelihood of Sudden Infant Death (SID).
- Buy baby beds with mesh wells: The mesh walls of a cradle should be given a lot of attention when buying one. Infant bassinets are not so big. Due to this, your baby will not have a lot of space to move around very freely. While a lot of babies that sleep in cradles are unable to turn around, if your little one can turn and does turn slightly, it might be quite difficult for her to breathe if the cradle does not feature mesh walls. This difficulty to breathe could lead to suffocation. Infant beds that have mesh walls ensure that sufficient air will be available.
- Portability: The best baby bassinets have a reputation for being portable. Nonetheless, some are more portable than others. You have to consider the ease with which a bassinet can be moved from one room to another before buying it. Generally, portable baby bassinets come with wheels and can be moved from room to room a lot easier than those that have no wheels.
- Storage capacity: Certain baby bed models come with large storage capacities. This way, diapers, and other infant accessories can be stored very close to your baby.
- Canopy: Not all bassinets come with a canopy. While a canopy is not in any way standard, it is a great addition. If you purchase a bassinet that comes with a canopy, you can keep your little one protected from the direct sunlight. You can also do some studying at night without disturbing your baby’s rest. Beyond buying a baby bed with a canopy, you might want to purchase one that has a retractable canopy. This way, you will not have to worry about a canopy getting into the way when feeding your child or changing her diaper. While buying a cradle that comes with a canopy, you have to avoid frilly canopies. This type of canopy could lead to strangulation.
- Consider the weight limit: Infant bassinets are usually made with a certain weight range in mind. If an infant bed carries a weight that is beyond the weight range it was designed to carry, it might not provide the right level of comfort for your baby. To get the best from a cradle, you must avoid buying one that has a weight limit that is less than your baby’s weight. This might be difficult to know if you are yet to have your baby. Nonetheless, you might want to avoid a baby bed that cannot carry a weight of more than 15 pounds if you are likely going to give birth to a heavy baby.
- Avoid mattresses made from toxic materials: This might seem quite obvious. Regardless of this, lots of mattresses that come with baby beds are made from materials that can cause your baby some harm. To avoid these mattresses, you will need to do some proper research. Mattresses that are made from materials such as formaldehyde and toluene should be avoided as they could cause your baby harm.
- Sturdiness: Bassinets can tip over if they are not sturdy. This could cause your baby a good degree of harm. If you must ensure that your newborn is absolutely safe in a baby bed, you will need to buy a sturdy one. If a baby bassinet does not have a stable and wide base, there is a likelihood of it tipping over. You, therefore, should not buy it. Furthermore, avoid any cradle that has sharp points both externally and internally. This is in addition to not buying a bassinet that comes with small parts that could choke your baby.
- Popular brands: There are lots of cradle brands on the market. A lot of these brands are popular. However, not all of them have a reputation for making top quality bassinets. If you must get the best baby bassinet for whatever amount you are willing to spend, you will need to buy a baby bed that is made by some of the most popular bands. These brands are Fisher-Price, baby delight, MiClassic, etc.
- Certifications: Not every single bassinet meets the required safety standards. When buying a cradle, you must carry out ample research to check that it meets the relevant safety standards. Doing this will help you feel at ease knowing your baby is safe in a device that will last the test of time and keep her comfortable. When looking to buy a cradle, ensure that it meets the American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM) requirements. Furthermore, it should come with the Juvenile Products Manufacturers Association (JPMA) seal.
- Ease of cleaning: After using a bassinet for a while, you will need to clean it. Some bassinets are made from materials that can be machine washed. Others can only be washed manually. Before going ahead to buy a bassinet, you must find out how easy it is to clean. Generally, you should pick a baby bed that can be cleaned easily over one that is difficult to clean.
Top 7 Best Baby Bassinets
1. Delta Children Deluxe Sweet Beginnings Bedside Bassinet Review
Easy to clean
We Don’t Like
This device is made of materials that are not only beautiful but durable. It has a design that is compatible with various types of decorations. Due to this, you do not have to worry about it looking out of place in your little one’s beautiful bedroom. Once you purchase this baby bassinet, you will no longer feel embarrassed by singing your tot lullabies every night. This is because it comes with a music module that plays soft songs as your baby sleeps.
In addition to its music module, this product comes with a nightlight feature that will make it easy for your baby to sleep and also stay asleep. Beyond providing a suitable environment for your baby to sleep in, this baby bassinet has a huge storage space that you can take advantage of to keep items that every newborn baby needs. Due to this, there will be no need to store linens, diapers, etc., far away from your baby. Although this cradle is of top quality, it should not be used for babies that are over 5 months old.
2. Fisher-Price Soothing Motions Bassinet Review
Easy to clean
We Don’t Like
This bassinet is a tool that you can rely on to help your infant sleep peacefully. Features such as calming vibrations, music, and very peaceful swaying can go a long way to help your newborn go to bed without you putting in so much effort. As your newborn falls asleep in this baby bed, she can look at the overhead mobile which comes with adorable stars as she falls asleep.
Furthermore, infants can have a great sense of security as they sleep in this cradle. This is possible because of the night light setting featured by this bassinet. Although this device can make your newborn fall asleep easily, if there is a bit of struggle, you simply need to take advantage of the calming vibrations that last for 30 minutes. You do not have to worry about your baby suffocating as this device has sides made from mesh which promotes breathability in sleeping babies.
3. SwaddleMe By Your Side Sleeper Review
Easy to clean
We Don’t Like
This product is one you can rely on to enable your little one to have a very good rest without being worried about overheating. It is suitable for a baby so long such your baby has not started rolling over or pushing up. This bassinet has a sturdy frame that can keep your baby protected regardless of how much you roll over when sleeping.
Beyond being sturdy, its sidewalls are compressible and make it easy for you to reach your baby without putting in a lot of effort. Also, its mesh sides make it easy for you to see your baby without any difficulty. Due to the level of protection this product offers your baby, as well as the ease with which you can reach your baby, it makes bonding with your newborn very easy.
4. Dream On Me Karley Bassinet Review
Easy to clean
We Don’t Like
This bassinet, which was designed to be used outdoors and indoors features an aluminum frame, is versatile, and lightweight. It’s available in rose, pink, periwinkle, light blue, grey & pink, blue & grey, and aqua. This product has a mechanism that makes it very easy to fold. It can only be used by newborns that weigh no more than 25 lbs. With this infant bassinet in your possession, you do not have to keep the materials needed by your little one far away.
It offers a huge storage space where all the materials that your baby needs can be stored. Also, it is mobile and does not need to be stuck in one room. You can move it from one room to another very easily. This is in addition to the fact that it is made from safe and soft polyester foam fabric.
5. MiClassic All Mesh 2 in 1 Stationary & Rock Bassinet Review
Easy to clean
We Don’t Like
This product is one of the best baby bassinets on the market. It can go a long way in making communication between parents and newborns very easy. This is possible because it comes with a breathable mesh. Furthermore, it comes with a feature that ensures very easy transportation. This feature is the one-second open & fold system. When you buy this product, you will certainly be purchasing one that complies with the regulations and standards that are enforced by the CPSIA and CPSC. That’s not all. You will get a lot of value for your money as it comes with a one-year warranty.
When your little one goes to bed in the baby bassinet, you are certain she will be very comfortable. Furthermore, when additional soothing is needed, the rocking feet can always come in handy to keep your child in great comfort. Beyond being easily transported, you can have your newborn sleeping comfortably in this baby bassinet while going on a journey.
6. Baby Delight Beside Me Dreamer Bassinet & Bedside Sleeper Review
Easy to clean
We Don’t Like
This product is one you can trust to help your infant have a sound and safe sleep. With this bassinet, your little one does not only have her own private sleeping space, but she can also sleep in an area that is not cut off from a fresh air supply. This is possible because of the breathable mesh wall that surrounds this baby bassinet.
You do not need to put in a lot of effort when moving this device from place to place. It is very portable. In addition to being easily moved around, this bassinet makes it very easy for parents to check on their babes without the need to make any real movement. The reason for this is the Bedside Sleeper mode feature that comes with this baby bed. That’s not all. This product features a 6-position height adjustment which makes it possible to move it to your bed’s height.
7. Fisher-Price Rock with Me Bassinet Review
Easy to clean
We Don’t Like
This baby bassinet makes it possible for your baby to have comfortable rest regardless of where she is. It features a rocking motion that needs a bit of push from an adult to get it moving. If you do not want it to rock your babe, you can also make use of it in the stationary position. Beyond being good for helping your child have a very good rest, this item can keep your infant company. It comes with a mirror that keeps your baby entertained.
This product can be positioned by your bedside. Also, it has an elevated sleeping platform which helps your newborn rest without being disturbed. You can also move it around very easily. Either from one room to another or from your apartment to your car.
Baby Bassinets Main Types
Travel bassinet: From the name of this bassinet, it is quite obvious what it was designed to do. This bassinet type is lighter and more compact than other types of bassinet. These qualities ensure that it can be moved around very easily. Furthermore, it can be folded very easily. This way, it can always be kept out of sight when it is not needed.
Smart bassinet: Technology has made the world a much better place to live. Baby beds have not been left out. Long gone are the days every mother needed to depend on traditional cradles to provide her child with safety and comfort while asleep. In today’s world, busy moms can opt for a smart bassinet. A smart bassinet comes with features that make it possible to know when a baby is crying. In addition to being able to tell when a baby needs attention, smart bassinets respond accordingly. They provide white noise and also rock the baby very gently.
Bedside bassinets: Also known as traditional bassinets, this bassinet type is perhaps the most popular type of bassinet. As an owner of a bedside bassinet, you can move it from one room to another easily or leave it in one place. Usually, this type of baby bed features canopies, as well as wheels for easy mobility.
Co-sleeper bassinet: This bassinet is quite related to a mini-crib. It was designed to open up on one end. This way, you simply need to position it against your bed with the side that can be opened facing your bed. Owners of this baby bassinet can always reach their babies in the night by simply stretching their hands. The Co-sleeper bassinet can be considered a bed extension for your baby. It has a reputation for making breastfeeding very easy.
Baby Bassinet vs Mini Crib vs Playcard
In its simplest form, a bassinet is a bed for infants. Traditionally, a bassinet is a small concave basket. This, however, is not always the case. There are cradles for children of different ages. Also, cradles can be used by newborns as well as children as old as four years.
The model simply changes to accommodate the differences in the age of the infants. While cradles for babies have very small sides since babies can’t jump or climb out; those designed for children as old as 4 years have high sides. These high sides prevent children from jumping. That’s not all. In certain cases, one wall of the cradle is foldable. This makes it easy to remove children from the cradle.
A mini crib does almost the same job as a bassinet. However, unlike a bassinet, it was not designed to be used by children that are over 6 months old. Mini cribs make it easy for parents to always keep their eyes on their children. This is because moving a mini crib from one room to another is very easy. Playcards are simply low mobile fences that are movable. Their floors are usually padded and they are used to keep children from moving out of sight.
Safety Recommendations for Using Baby Bassinet
Here are some helpful tips to keep in mind:
- Co-sleeper bassinet: This bassinet is quite related to a mini-crib. It was designed to open up on one end. This way, you simply need to position it against your bed with the side that can be opened facing your bed. Owners of this baby bassinet can always reach their babies in the night by simply stretching their hands. The Co-sleeper bassinet can be considered a bed extension for your baby. It has a reputation for making breastfeeding very easy.
- Never move your cradle around when your baby is in it: This should be an obvious tip. Nonetheless, certain people with steady hands are always tempted to move the cradle from one position to another while the baby is in it. Regardless of how steady your hands are, moving your baby bed around with a baby in it should never be even thought about.
- Wheels should be locked: You will be making a great mistake if you put your baby in a baby bassinet when the wheels are not locked. As soon as you decide to place your baby in the bassinet, always check the wheels to see if they are locked or not. If the wheels are unlocked, the baby could move away from your reach. Furthermore, if you have to unlock the wheels for any reason such as moving the cradle from one room to another, lock the wheels again as soon as you get into the new room.
- Leave beddings and plush toys out of your baby bassinet: Every parent wants to give their baby something to play with. They also try to make their newborns as comfortable as possible. This usually leads to the temptation of adding extra beddings like blankets, comforters, pillows, an extra pad, or stuffed animals in the baby bassinet. Although these are usually done with good intentions, they could end up suffocating your newborn.
- Foldable legs should be locked in place: There are various types of bassinets. Some come with foldable legs, others, do not. If you have a baby cradle that comes with foldable legs, always ensure that the legs are locked before placing a baby in it.
- Use sheets that are compatible with your cradle: The fact that a sheet can be used with a baby mattress is not an indication that it is good for your baby bed. There are many different cradle brands and various brands are compatible with certain sheets. You will not be able to get value for the amount you spent in buying a baby bed if you use a sheet that it is not compatible with. To ensure that you always use the right sheet, make a point of using only a sheet that comes with your baby bassinet. Never use other sheets. If for any reason you need more than one sheet, you should not just head into a store and buy sheets. You have to know the exact model of your cradle. Once you find this out, go on to buy the number of extra sheets you need from the firm that made your baby bed. Furthermore, you should never replace a fitted sheet with a pillowcase. Unlike fitted sheets that are always in place, a pillowcase could get loose. If this happens, your baby could choke.
- Position your baby to sleep on her back: One important safety practice is placing your baby to sleep in the right position. To keep your baby safe in her bassinet, always place her on her back. When you do this, you will be greatly reducing the risks of her being affected by SITSs. This is a lot more important than you realize as SITs is one of the major reasons for the death of infants under one year old.
- Hanging cords should be far from your cradle: A cord in itself is not dangerous. It, however, can lead to unwanted situations such as strangulation. When positioning your cradle close to your bed. Always ensure that it is not anywhere close to a cord. Such things as baby monitor cords, drape cords, or window blind cords should be positioned far from your baby bassinet. If for any reason your baby bassinet is close to a cord, you must ensure that this cord is beyond your newborn’s reach.
Frequently Asked Questions
If a cradle is designed in line with generally accepted safety standards. It can best be described as the most ideal place for babies to rest. Although there are times unwanted incidents arise even when a child is sleeping in one of the best baby bassinets. These incidents are usually not because of the use of a cradle in itself.
They are more associated with the way the baby bed is used. When a baby bed is not used in the right way, it could result in unwanted incidents. More often than not, cradle related accidents take place when items such as pillows, blankets, plastic bags, etc. are kept in a baby bassinet.
Although a lot of people do not pay as much attention as they should give to recalled bassinets for babies, the fact remains once a cradle is recalled, it might not be in your best interest or in the best interest of your baby to keep using it.
There are lots of reasons why a firm might recall a cradle that has already been sold. Many of these reasons are related to entanglement, tipping, suffocation, entrapment, death, or injury. As soon as you realize that your baby’s cradle has been recalled, it won’t be safe to keep using it. The best thing to do if you find yourself in this situation is get in touch with the firm responsible for making the bassinet and find out what you should do.
Baby beds were designed to provide an environment that your little one will find very soothing. In addition to being soothing, they are very safe for your newborn. To ensure that your child is safe, baby bassinet bottoms are properly padded. While this is good enough to keep your baby from danger, lots of parents assume the padding that comes with cradles is not good enough and they need to further pad a baby’s bed after buying it.
Doing this might not seem like a bad thing; however, it is contrary to safety guidelines. If you must get the best from the use of a cradle and keep your baby from suffocating, you need to avoid padding your baby bed.
A lot of people assume that a crib and bassinets for babies have the same function. While this is quite true, a crib can do a lot of things that a cradle cannot. However, there is usually an age limit for the use of a cradle. After the birth of a baby, it is up to the parents to decide if they want to make use of a cradle or a crib.
While there are no hard and fast rules for selecting either a crib or a cradle, most people purchase a baby bed first because it is cheaper than a cradle. Usually, cribs are bought when a baby outgrows a cradle. The implication of this is you do not need to have a cradle and a crib at the same time.
There are various devices newborns can be kept in. However, a lot of parents prefer keeping their newborns in cradles. This is a good thing to do. However, every parent needs to know that there is a limit to how long a baby can be kept in a cradle. All things being equal, newborns should be kept in a cradle from the time they are born till they are about 3-6 months old.
Although there is no exact time babies should be kept in a cradle, as soon as a baby starts making attempts to roll over or sit, you will need to move the baby from a cradle. This is a vital step to avoid accidents.
For a first-timer, buying an infant bassinet might seem like a very difficult task. It, however, is not as difficult as a lot of people assume even if you are doing so for the first time. The fact remains you do not have to go through any real difficulty before successfully buying the right cradle for your baby. You simply need to do the right thing at the right time.
Regardless of how simple doing the right thing at the right time might sound; we know it is not as easy as it sounds. That is why we have written this article. If you follow the tips in this article, you will easily find the best baby bassinet for your budget.